DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thinking of Taking the Plunge

Our group has really been looking into moving over from Roll20 to Fantasy Grounds especially with the 5E stuff being incorporated.

Couple of questions I have.

I have one player that is in the same household so he will be local and 3 others that will be connecting over the internet. Will this be an issue With FG ? Seems I've read several post with people having connection issues.

When we are playing will I be going through a Fantasy Grounds Server or will the players be actually connected to me directly?

When I buy a license will I be given a code and immediately be able to activate and use it, or is there some kind of waiting period to get a code? ( I hate waiting )

Connection stability is a key thing with me I do not want players being dropped all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kgarrison View Post
    Our group has really been looking into moving over from Roll20 to Fantasy Grounds especially with the 5E stuff being incorporated.

Couple of questions I have.

I have one player that is in the same household so he will be local and 3 others that will be connecting over the internet. Will this be an issue With FG ? Seems I've read several post with people having connection issues.
    This will not be an issue. Have the internet players connect normally via alias or external IP address. For the player on your local lan have him connect using the server's local IP address (shown on the FG launcher screen). Most connection issues with FG are people having problems setting up port forwarding because their router won't handle an auto setup.

When we are playing will I be going through a Fantasy Grounds Server or will the players be actually connected to me directly?
    If your Internet players use the FG alias then the FG server does a brief look up to see your current IP at the very beginning of the connection process and tells the connecting player(s) your IP address - then its direct connect to you.

When I buy a license will I be given a code and immediately be able to activate and use it, or is there some kind of waiting period to get a code? ( I hate waiting )
    You will get a code immediately.

Connection stability is a key thing with me I do not want players being dropped all the time.
    FG has stable and mature networking code. If a player is being dropped it will be because he or you have a bad network connection. Note it is suggested the GM use a more stable wired connection over a wireless connection. It doesn't hurt a player either but it's not as critical.
    Last edited by Griogre; April 26th, 2015 at 02:08.

You may also want to make sure you have port 1802 forwarding to your host computer in your router settings to ensure the connection works.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...faq=networking
    FGU Ultimate License/FGC Standard
    Timezone: Australian EST (UTC +10)
    Systems: Prefer DnD 5e as GM or player.
    FKA Chezcaliente

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kgarrison View Post
    I believe that paying with PayPal can incur a wait of up to 2 days until the payment has successfully been received...

True, good catch - but only on a check if you don't have a verified account. If you use a credit card it should not be held, normally.
    Last edited by Griogre; April 26th, 2015 at 18:02.

Thanks for the responses guys. I downloaded the demo version last night and got a couple of the players connected without much issue. Now I'll play around with the rest of it .

Thread Information