DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: what is Unity?

what is Unity?

i've seen mention of it from several Devs. Is FG getting a rewrite or a Port?

I would assume a rewrite. I think the existing FG app is pretty old. I'm sure it's evolved in ways they never expected and they probably want to do a lot of things with the app that would just be a PITA with the existing way the app is written.

Unity is a game engine: https://unity3d.com/

It's very popular with smaller and independent developers. I believe it's pretty easy to work with and it also supports compiling your application to Windows, Mac, Linux and tablets. It also supports scripting with lua for modding, so they'll probably be able to create the new app to work with existing FG rulesets. Or at least still use lua as the ruleset scripting language.

Blog Entries
    Unity among other things has:

a better networking engine
    a better graphics engine
    supports multi-threading
    supports multiple platforms - eg native Mac, Linux and even Tablet and Console platforms
    supports 3d

that doesnt mean that FG will necessarily have any of these things (other than 1 and 2) at the time of launch - but it will give SmiteWorks much better options to build more features that are not currently possible/feasible.

Do they have a progress blog somewhere or any other information about the development or are they doing it without the communities input?

Blog Entries
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Thanks, I hope it has better mod support for the actual application/UI as well not just the rules system.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSigma View Post
    Thanks, I hope it has better mod support for the actual application/UI as well not just the rules system.
    What is it you want to do?

I want to add custom commands to the "context command wheel" so that I can add custom html to stuff like "Story" entries so that I can have more than one type of heading and text block with pop-outs and also better formatted tables (CSS).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSigma View Post
    I want to add custom commands to the "context command wheel" so that I can add custom html to stuff like "Story" entries so that I can have more than one type of heading and text block with pop-outs and also better formatted tables (CSS).
    no one but you gets to see this info and this formatting.... it sounds to me you want to go to a lot of work to make more work for yourself

Blog Entries
    I believe there is a website for feature requests, don't have it handy at the moment. It doesn't hurt to officially register your request there. Sometimes, it's already on the list, in which case you can add your vote. The developers are very responsive to popular requests, except when a huge investment of time is needed.

Thread Information