DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Can I give this module away?

Would it be legal for me to post a module I made that contains all of the current 5 D&D spells listed by level? I used Par5e, and wrote it as a Reference Manual and rather than reproducing all of the spells, it uses #zal to link to them.

I'm not actually sure if #zal is case sensitive, so that may be an issue for people who have spell data parsed differently than I do. If it's not case sensitive, it should work fine.

If it's ok to post, I just need to do a few tweaks, like removing my campaign-specific spell (only one so far)- or maybe I should leave it in and add it to a Spells.txt file.

Finally, regardless of whether I can post it, is there a way to make this list searchable without reproducing the entire D&D spell list? Spell data is searchable, but I can't use links.

Proud Graduate of Parallel University.

The answer would be no. Unless it only has the spells listed in the free D&D PDF that WotC issued many months ago. The Spells and their descriptions are the intellectual property of WotC; you can use Par5e to get them from a paper or electronic format into a form that FG can use but only for your own personal use.

Not sure about your last point, FG's search function can be used to search for a spell but only withing a group of spells such as Wizard, Cleric etc. I don't think it can be used to search the entire database.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Unless it only has the spells listed in the free D&D PDF that WotC issued many months ago.
    You can't even distribute material from that PDF. "Free" doesn't necessarily mean that material isn't copyright protected. These PDFs clearly state on the first page that they are covered by copyright and that re-distribution in any form, without permission, isn't allowed.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The reason I thought I might be able to redistribute it is that my module only contains the names of the spells and links to modules that the users would need to have loaded on their end. I'm not redistributing the spells. I figured it might fall under fair use. Unless a specific spell is trademarked, a short phrase like a spell name can't be copyrighted.

I used to publish under the d20 license, and it often came up that as long as we weren't using the actual wording of the D&D rules, that we could technically publish anything for D&D under fair use. We just used d20/OGL as a guaranteed safe haven.

Still, I understand if Smiteworks doesn't want to go there and allow this kind of thing on their forums. I was just explaining my rationale for the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Not sure about your last point, FG's search function can be used to search for a spell but only withing a group of spells such as Wizard, Cleric etc. I don't think it can be used to search the entire database.
    Had it been possible to link the spells in spells.txt via "#zal;", I had planned to write up a dummy class called "All spells" or something, and give it all of the spells. Its spell list would then be searchable in the module.

Yeah, there's a difference with what would hold up in a court of law vs. what would annoy WotC. Until there's some official announcement about what type of OGL/Use licence D&D 5E will be classified as, I'd err on the side of caution as even annoying WotC could damage the arrangement SmiteWorks have. Especially as the wording of the first page of the free rules is very strong: "Any reproduction or unauthorized use of the material or artwork contained herein is prohibited without the express written permission of Wizards of the Coast."
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by The Scriven One View Post
    Had it been possible to link the spells in spells.txt via "#zal;", I had planned to write up a dummy class called "All spells" or something, and give it all of the spells. Its spell list would then be searchable in the module.
    I think the best approach would be to add this as a feature request to the current modules.

I hear you. It's their IP, so I have no right to complain.

Still, I do hope they come out with a license of some sort- even if we have to pay a nominal fee. I have a campaign setting module with a couple of spell-using classes that I won't be able to share until they do, and I really want to get it out there when its ready. I plan to prepare adventures set there for FG.

The last I heard was that they planned to address this issue this spring. We'll see I guess. It's just that 5e has inspired me to create a lot of content, and I want to share it.

Thread Information