5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
    I would never have thought to look at the "chat" box... LOL...

I'm going to be honest here. I just purchased the Standard License, the PHB, Xanathars Guide and Sword Coast Adventurers Guide to create characters on my own, and this was my first experience with Fantasy Grounds "for real". This is your customer's very first experience in many cases. This, in my opinion a) should work as players expect, b) these charts should be included with the PHB (in terms of automation).

Quote Originally Posted by Tielc View Post
    I'm going to be honest here. I just purchased the Standard License, the PHB, Xanathars Guide and Sword Coast Adventurers Guide to create characters on my own, and this was my first experience with Fantasy Grounds "for real". This is your customer's very first experience in many cases. This, in my opinion a) should work as players expect, b) these charts should be included with the PHB (in terms of automation).
    To be fair, FG is a software system whose goal is to facilitate online coordination of many and sundry RPGs that, at least, fit the core paradigm that FG supports. Thus, it isn't going to be a "D&D" system or oriented to any other system. While I'm not the software engineer, nor familiar with all the RPGs out there (I'm a D&D guy, with some exposure to Traveler, Top Secret, and a touch of The Morris Project) the solution for the point buy may be the only one that fits the various versions of those systems in use or yet to be in use.

That being said, a better description of how to use the point buy system - in the User Guide - would have been great as that would have saved me a few hours of playing around. It did take a little bit of play, but I did finally get it figured out. It isn't hard if you know the approach, but certainly can be a bit mind boggling if you don't.

My only "gripe" would be that putting the point buy on the chat box is not the first place an "initiate to FG" would look - next to/near the ability scores is the natural place.

Or you could have watched this video.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Fab video - wish I'd known about that before I started messing about with the point buy system!

FG needs to make that one PROMINENT!

I've noticed that in Campaign mode (not Manage Characters; just starting a campaign this coming weekend), the three tabs, including Points, are not present across the top of the chat box. I have the Ultimate license, and my players will be connecting via a mix of standard/free clients. The standard clients are not necessarily going to be an issue as they can "Manage Characters." However, the free clients will be - given that they cannot create/save characters.

How does one implement the Point Buy system for the free clients given their no save restriction? What is the normal "work flow" that FG is expecting when starting a campaign with fresh characters that the players are to create?

Quote Originally Posted by JMunsonII View Post
    How does one implement the Point Buy system for the free clients given their no save restriction? What is the normal "work flow" that FG is expecting when starting a campaign with fresh characters that the players are to create?
    Same way if you were using paper sheets to record the stats. Figure out the stats, and type them into the boxes when they connect to your host system.

You do character creation in the campaign. They don't need to go into manage characters to create a character no matter what the license type. Otherwise it is as Andraax says.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by JMunsonII View Post
    However, the free clients will be - given that they cannot create/save characters.

How does one implement the Point Buy system for the free clients given their no save restriction?
    There is no save restriction in manage characters for free clients. Players can create and edit characters, save them and have them available for upload when they join a campaign.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information