DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Using FG with a stylus

I've got a Surface Pro 3, which is super cool, and one of the things I can do with it via Splashtop is use it as a second monitor. Very nice for drawing on a FG map the way you would on a battlemat. I just run Fantasy Grounds as normal on my PC and instead of using my second monitor to display the tactical map, I use the Surface which I can draw on! Easy!

But the stylus input with Fantasy Grounds feels very primitive, there's no ability to chose pen thickness, there's no pressure sensitivity, there's a huge delay on input that makes drawing something like a dotted line very difficult. It's still better than using a mouse, but it's much worse than the normal Surface Pro 3 experience with other software.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to improve this experience, or if there are any plans for FG to support stylus input beyond what's already there.

Blog Entries
    Hey mattcolville - I doubt there are any plans to work on the underlying technology (as opposed to the game mechanics/rulesets) before Fantasy Grounds 4 on Unity comes out. This is a huge rebuild task and is well underway but I dont think there are even any rumoured dates for this yet. The Unity engine will allow many more options. There are lots of requests for better drawing options, for tablet use etc - Id go and add your vote for some of those on the wishlist: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/
    Unity will allow SmiteWorks to improve networking, graphics, maybe support 3d, hopefully support tablets etc - not straight away but they will have better options to do those things.

FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

That's cool, I hadn't heard about the Unity project.

I was sort of hoping there were people who had gotten it to work just by using the right drivers.

Blog Entries
    Its not a stylus issue - the Images only supports very rudimentary drawing - one line thickness, no key combination to draw straight lines or shapes, no writing (via keyboard), no changing colours etc.
    I also hope it will be improved in FG4. I went and voted for it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Its not a stylus issue - the Images only supports very rudimentary drawing - one line thickness, no key combination to draw straight lines or shapes, no writing (via keyboard), no changing colours etc.
    I also hope it will be improved in FG4. I went and voted for it
    You can draw a straight line by holding down shift I think. Or is it ctrl or alt? Hmm
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Blog Entries
    Thank you Mask - you are correct.

Thread Information