5E Character Create Playlist
Page 8 of 8 First ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You can find all the release notes here (this is also linked from the FG start screen)
    I'm not seeing where this is actually relevant. Does the release notes tell things like which functions are in manager_actions.lua, which templates are in the /common folder and which are in the /campaign folder or which file has the functions on processing critical hits? These are the things I would look for in ruleset documentation. I know of no place where this type of information is kept (other than just reading through every ruleset file).

I thought the release notes just mentioned when a new feature was available for a ruleset or when a change was made to the API that the rulesets use.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

I thought the poster was looking for a list of changes, but clearly he's looking for something different.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I was looking for documentation on the attributes and elements of an extension file, and they are not all in the Developer Guide. I have what I need now. I am just in violent agreement with Nickademus that this information should be in the ruleset and extension documentation. I would add it if I could, but I cannot.
    Last edited by Bidmaron; December 24th, 2016 at 20:29.

Smiteworks has never written up documentation on the included rulesets and I doubt they ever will. It would be quite a bit of work to explain all the files and the organization structure, and would bring in no income. Better to spend the time on licensed material and the Unity build. I imagine it would also be difficult for the guys at SW to even write up a new-user's perspective of all that since they have been utilizing those files so much for so long that there is a lot that they would take for granted in the explanations.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    I was looking for documentation on the attributes and elements of an extension file, and they are not all in the Developer Guide. I have what I need now. I am just in violent agreement with Nickademus that this information should be in the ruleset and extension documentation. I would add it if I could, but I cannot.
    I don't agree at all. Your asking a company to open documentation for their proprietary software, and to document it so that you can undermine their business model. I mean, they already maintain a wiki, have this community here, have numerous videos on how to use, extend, play around with, tinker with... there are literally THOUSANDS of threads on these boards, and many users that will answer any question that you might pose.

Plus, believe me when I tell you this, SW is FAR more open today than they were under the previous owners. I know first hand, as a developer of several core rulesets (Savage Worlds, Castles and Crusades, Iron Heroes, etc...) what it's like to comb through the mysterious LUA code, but back then (2008) there wasn't the community we have today.

If you have a question to ask, ask away. As for documentation (and the labor that would go into it) I wouldn't expect it. I wouldn't even think I was entitled to it.
    Ultimate Licence holder

I've had FG for so LONG I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

But I'm learning!

Quote Originally Posted by kalmarjan View Post
    I don't agree at all. Your asking a company to open documentation for their proprietary software, and to document it so that you can undermine their business model.
    What do you mean so I can undermine their business model? I just want to be able to write an extension. Like you, I was here under the previous ownership, and you are right that SW does magnitudes better.

Hey, I get it that there is a trade-off between features and documentation. I'm not looking for a complete how-to. You can get that studying existing extensions. This page simply needs updating with the announcement tag. You can see it has the structure of an extension file. It is just missing the announcement element is all.

Thread Information