DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Cheap(ish) video display setup for inperson games

I found these pictures of a really interesting setup on FB. the screen is a stretched fabric over a folding table, the projector uses a mirror to get a good enough display distance to show on the table top.

Attachment 8903
    Attachment 8904
    Attachment 8905
    Attachment 8906

Blog Entries
    No comments on the display but just wanted to say it is nice to see a bunch of adults and even "older" adults sitting around exercising their imaginations, having fun for an evening!
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

The overhead mirror is a really good idea. I suppose you'd need to adjust the distance of the projector from the mirror to get the right size image on the table?
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Yes it would take a bit of adjustment to get the image right. But if you don't have the height to put the projector on the ceiling or want to build a back view projector I think this would be easier. Plus the fabric can be easier to replace that most systems I have seen. Which is going to be a concern in a LOT of gaming groups.

We tried similar things with D20 pro and a LED Flat screen, with the recent discovery of fantasy grounds it may actually be more viable. In hind sight I would have gone with the projector method.

Blog Entries
    I've mentioned using an ultra short throw tabletop projector in previous threads on this topic. These projectors are very popular with academic institutions and schools as they are ultra portable and can project onto a variety of surface including walls, doors and tabletops. Over the last year we have even see 4K ultra throw projectors hit the shelves.

More recently Sony demonstrated a consumer grade version of its latest line of ultra short throw projectors for the home:
    https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-p...row-projector/

With one of these you can stand the projector on the game table (just in front of the DM's screen) and project onto the table surface. No brackets, mirrors or mounting required and no wires (its WiFi enabled), in addition its water-proof as its designed to work in a kitchen/bathroom and so its well protected from players who might spill some Mountain Dew ...
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

I love the idea of the cube, and can definitely see using it in a gaming situation once 3 or 4 other companies are offering it and the price gets into the 200-300 range, then it'll cross the line between "if I win the lottery" to "this is a must-have tech item" for me.

I've been watching these for use with gaming Asus S1 but without the remote or keystone features, I think I'm going to wait on the price point of the Sony.
    Last edited by Mirloc; February 22nd, 2015 at 23:53.

The projector is an awesome way to do it. I am on the cheap option at the moment, but one day....
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

gm60
    Thinking of ordering this. Watched a few videos online and seems ok. Not hd or anything but pretty cheap.
    Last edited by llothos; March 15th, 2016 at 05:14.

Quote Originally Posted by llothos View Post
    gm60
    Thinking of ordering this. Watched a few videos online and seems ok. Not hd or anything but pretty cheap.
    I think you'll struggle with that native resolution. The size of the image is 34-130 inches, so at the minimum size of 34 inches you're going to be getting 27DPI (dots per inch) on the projected image. That's going to be very blurry when you're up close around the table.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information