DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12

vi (gvim, usually)

Blog Entries
    I wonder if the problem is related to a version of N++. I'm running 6.1.3 and have experienced issues with large xml files. I'll try updating to see if that works. Also, I must have been using the build-in support for XML since I didn't have the options Trenloe mentioned until after I installed the XML Tools plugin.

I use a program called EditPlus. It is more than worth the $30 I payed for it.
    https://www.editplus.com/

Weird, any unusual plugins on it? I edit some pretty dang big files on mine and have seen no slowdowns despite what is generally "The whole damn ruleset opened in different tabs"

- Obe
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

I'm curious what people are considering big and small files. I work more on modules than rulesets. Where I find rulesets are broken up into multiple files, a library modules is usually one big xml file.

To throw some numbers out here of what I consider a big file (and see issues when tabbing to):
    PFSRD Complete Spells is 17k lines
    PFSRD Complete Magic Items is 32k lines
    PF Bestiary 1 is 20k lines
    Chronic Equipment is 69k lines
    Chronic Races is 19k lines
    Chronic Classes is 39k lines

It might also be worth noting that Doswlek mentioned having sections folded, or collapsed. I always have something folded when working on a file. There may not be a problem if you don't.
    Last edited by Nickademus; January 26th, 2015 at 17:06.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

I've noticed that the times that I've found that it hangs are related to when I toggle between apps or replace tags when using the expand/collapse feature. If I expand all tags before I toggle away, it doesn't hang. Definitely a minor annoyance I've come across while using Notepad++.

Cheers,
    JPG

I've been using Liquid XML Studio 2011 as my XML editor of choice, since, well, 2011, and have absolutely no problem with hang-ups or freezes, regardless of file size, expansions or collapsing. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's still being sold. If it is, grab it. It's got all the features you need from notepad++ (and more) and it's much more stable, IMO.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Thread Information