Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Demi Dice

Demi Dice

Hello everyone! I would like to play a game that uses demi-dice. Basically only the first half of a die is recognized, and the others are valued at 0. For example:

d6 = 1, 2, 3, 0, 0, 0
    d8 = 1, 2, 3, 4, 0, 0, 0, 0

Yes, I also realize that there is the "divide by two option", but that defeats the purpose of having 50% odds of 0.

How could I go about doing this in Fantasy Grounds? Is there a relatively easy way with custom dice? I know that I could do the math myself, but it would be nice if I could have the program do it for me!

Thank you for your help.

~Ped

Blog Entries
    The dice routines do not currently have all options.
    In this case though the following should give you the same outcomes:
    /die 1d6-3
    /die 1d6-4

Blog Entries
    or hitting -3 in modifier before using a d6 field or die etc...

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    The dice routines do not currently have all options.
    In this case though the following should give you the same outcomes:
    /die 1d6-3
    /die 1d6-4
    That won't work because it gives you negative numbers - a range of -2 to 3 (for 1d6-3).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Indeed, that is the problem with the simple modifier. It makes it impossible to have Fantasy Grounds add the result for me. The only way I see it is to edit the die to have sides of value 0, but I don't know how to do that. Is it extremely complicated?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    That won't work because it gives you negative numbers - a range of -2 to 3 (for 1d6-3).
    Doh! Didnt think that thru very well did I!

Quote Originally Posted by pedetentous View Post
    Indeed, that is the problem with the simple modifier. It makes it impossible to have Fantasy Grounds add the result for me. The only way I see it is to edit the die to have sides of value 0, but I don't know how to do that. Is it extremely complicated?
    The dice themselves are pretty much untouchable.
    Trenloe did something that could possibly be adapted in the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire ruleset...

it would also be possible to code an extension that throws the dice, does the simple -adjustment and returns 0 for all negative scores...
    How many possible permutations are there?

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    it would also be possible to code an extension that throws the dice, does the simple -adjustment and returns 0 for all negative scores...
    Using the customdie component this can be done: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/customdie.xcp

Here's an example extension for the CoreRPG ruleset (called "Custom Dice Result"). I've just added a customdie called d000123 - it can be rolled by right-clicking on the d6 and selecting custom dice -> d000123. Or by using the /die command, for example to roll 5 of these dice use /die 5d000123
    Last edited by Trenloe; January 22nd, 2015 at 00:34.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Awesome - thanks Trenloe - I was just starting to work on a much more complicated way of doing this - so much nicer!
    And one less think for me to waste time on!

Pedentous - do you need help trying to implement this?
    Download the file and place it in the %appdata%\fantasy grounds\extensions folder
    Restart Fantasy Grounds and look for the Extension in the list and select it.

Modifying this should be really easy - just one file to edit and update to add in your other dice combos.

You guys are amazing! Thank you so much for this!

How do I edit the extension file? I'm on a Mac Mini.

I figured it out, thank you! How do I set it to use my own images on the die?

Thread Information