5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: slow map speeds

slow map speeds

hey all,

using the 5E ruleset, my maps seem to take an unusually long time to load. also, any grid adjustments and masking tools take a very long time to process. what am i doing wrong? any tutorial vids show these commands to pretty snappy and that isn't the case for me...

Preloading the map helps. Also, the smaller the map file size the better. Upload speed of the GM's broadband/wifi connection also plays its part.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

as the gm, i click on the link to bring up my map and it takes between 15-25 seconds to come up, use any tool on it, or to close it. i also can't perform any other action while its opening or closing...

Blog Entries
    What's the file size?
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Blog Entries
    That's why. Keep it under 1mb, even 600-800 pixels and 100-200kb and you'll see a big difference.
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Blog Entries
    You can try this.
    https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...zxKU5FcGkY0ejw

Typically, JPG files set to Medium or High resolution will shrink down pretty well. I normally try to make it so that my map image is around 50 px per square. For really large maps, I may go smaller, as long as the resolution still looks good.

ok, so i've reduced my image size to 213 Kb. still laggy. it even takes a long time to close the map window. can't help but feel like something is not right with my settings...

i got it. i'm an idiot. i was confusing folder locations and i was using the wrong image. all set now. thank you all for your help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian View Post
    Preloading the map helps...
    So ... I THOUGHT that this never worked for me, but have recently (perhaps) had a revelation.

When I have my gm instance of FG running and preload some maps, and then someone connects in as a player or even if I connect in with a second instance as a player ( as localhost) are the maps supposed to

A) *wham* pop up as soon as the player connects and chooses his character?

OR

B) Be hidden, but preloaded in the background, so that when the GM *does* share them, they pop up a lot quicker on the player side?

I used to think A), and it wasn't working for me, but now am thinking that B) is the correct scenario.

???

Thread Information