DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last
    Also Check out https://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/ , they are released under creative commons, and Rob Boyle is the lead developer of the game. I ran a game for about 2 years, it is a great system. I would love to help out however I can on this, since I would love to try the game from the players side. I just recent got Fantasy ground and it is great to play with.
    Some thing I should mentioned about the game just for a summary for anyone planning on developing:
    Your main identity is known as your ego, and it is where your main stats (unmodified) exist.
    You wear a body called a morph, which can be switched, like a set of clothes if you have the resources. These body modify your stats, as well as add extra abilities.
    You have traits, which are linked to either your ego (permanent) or Morph (Exist for as long as you are sleeved into that body).
    It is a class-less system, purely skill base, with your skills being the basis of what you can do.
    Your skills are based upon relevant stat for skill plus point spent on it.
    It is a percent dice based system. With rolling under a skill required for success, doubles are criticals (successes if under, failures if over). 30 under/over is exception success failure.

It is also a lot of fun, and you can play around with some pretty esoteric concepts.

Great summary, thanks!

I don't know the Creative Commons license agreement very well. Does it allow us to redistribute the text of the books in a different form?
    If so we will be able to create a library module including the books which will be great.

We could create a type of object to represent a morph and allow it to be dragged to the character (Ego) similar to dragging armour, weapons or skills.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by soulcat View Post
    Also Check out https://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/ , they are released under creative commons.

I do believe it does allow the redistribution of the texts in a different form. Actually here is the link to it on the Eclipse phase page https://eclipsephase.com/cclicense .

If you go to https://eclipsephase.com/cclicense it gives a quick summary of the license, as well as a couple of exceptions.

Eclipse Phase is under a CC BY-NC-SA, meaning attribution, non commercial, share alike. Meaning yes it's very possible to make an Eclispe Phase ruleset for Fantasy Grounds, to reuse any content from the rulebooks in it, as long as we don't sell it.

Or, given that Rob is a pretty decent editor/manager and pretty open, it should also be possible to get a deal and sell it on Smiteworks store. In any cases, a working prototype is needed before anything else (it's not the first time Eclipse Phase had some kind of group movement, until now nothing came out of it).

As for the game, it can be somewhat complex, and changing morph can take some time. FG would work greatly here, doing all the math for the players, as Ian said just drag & drop a new morph unto a character! All the mechanism are here.

To make an Eclipse Phase ruleset we need first and foremost someone to code it. That's the main missing skill. Once there is someone like that, all the rest (graphics, design, testing, attention to details, library building) can be done.

Next week I plan to spend some time with the code in the WFRP library to fix/expand some things and that will tell me whether or not its possible for me to do something with Eclipse Phase. But it would be far more effective if someone who had real experience with xml could help out. But I'll see what I can do.
    What I am getting from discussion so far is that we should start with the Core RPG, though it would be good if someone with some EP knowledge could take a look at the Call of Cthulu ruleset and see if it has enough parallels to be useful (or any other percentile based ruleset).

Is anyone up for doing an exploratory session with CoreRPG over skype and just see what is missing to be able to make it minimally functional?

I doubt any other ruleset is close enough to warrant anything but a CoreRPG foundation.

CoC is neither free nor open, could lead to some issue.

Blog Entries
    dcgreenwood - the XML is not the issue. its the LUA that makes stuff happen.
    i have zero bandwidth (and only limited skill) for another project right now....

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    dcgreenwood - the XML is not the issue. its the LUA that makes stuff happen.
    i have zero bandwidth (and only limited skill) for another project right now....
    That wasn't my experience. There's a ton of good Lua book out there, even if a tinkerer's code is neither secure nor really optimized for FG it doesn't matter that much.

It's the XML. Well not the XML per se, that could be explained in 5 minutes to any 9 years old without issue. It's The FG database, and controls, and well how to do things, where to find things. Wanna alter the way the dice are rolled? Even if you could do that with one hand in Lua, you'll need to parse all the XML files code with a lot of FG dev knowledge to find where is it done, how is done, and how to modify this while not rewriting everything to keep some degree of CoreRPG layering. It's that jungle that weed out the Sunday coders and the tinkerers, and only let alive people with enough dev skill and will to swift it through.

You will want a new ruleset layered on CoreRPG.

This will give you all of the features of CoreRPG as well as knowing these will be improved moving forward, with the addition of a specific Character Sheet for all of the stats.

I would not do anything based on a ruleset which does not layer on top of CoreRPG at this point.

Thread Information