DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    While I can't contribute anything to this effort right now (I think GUMSHOE is going to be my first from-scratch attempt at a ruleset), I wanted to chime in and say that I've always felt that Eclipse Phase made an exceptionally good fit for a VTT in general, and Fantasy Grounds in particular. Many of the game's drawbacks come from the complexity of the Ego/Morph system, and all the number fiddling that has to happen when you resleeve. Having that math automated would go a long way towards letting you keep the complexity of the system (which is a big selling point, at least for me) while making it much more approachable and easy to run. Good luck!

Sounds intimidating

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    It's that jungle that weed out the Sunday coders and the tinkerers, and only let alive people with enough dev skill and will to swift it through.
    Unfortunately Sunday Tinkerer sounds like a pretty good description of me....Maybe this isn't going to be doable.

Not to give up though. I've got a couple questions for the community.

First, I looked through the FG wiki for a modern type theme, and the only one I found that works with CoreRPG is Traveller, which is OK but a little TOO traveller specific. I couldn't find anything else on the web. Does anyone know of a modern / cyberpunk / space travel appropriate theme?

I'm going through the rules, wanting to make a prioritzed list of what mechanics and elements are most needed to make the CoreRPG useable.
    If anyone has time and interest, there are things that you can help me with.
    1) Create a character template using the Core system (add all possible attributes, skills etc) to create as a template. See what works, what is missing.
    2) Create some archtype test characters.
    3) Open test characters into the ruleset and run through how to use the core rule set to do skill tests and actions. See how to simulate the different types of tests? What is needed in the library for core mechanics? What is missing from the ruleset in order to accomplish basic game mechanics? How to simulate damage, stress, wounds and trauma, actions? The task at this stage is to see how well the game can be played with no change to ruleset or library, just by creating modules and bruteforcing character generation and management.
    4) Set up a group chat with interested players, run through 3, simulate game mechanics and discuss / prioritize the most important library and ruleset additions/changes needed.

Any help would be appreciated!

The Shadowrun one is fairly scifi-ish.

Blog Entries
    @dcgreenwood
    for someone to build (code) this ruleset it is likely to require an investment of one to two hundred hours or so. it is not a trivial investment. i have bee talking with some other people and I know that there is soe interest in doing this ruleset but other projects are at various stages that need completion first.
    determining the core mechanics and the interactivity required on a FG character sheet is something you can do in the meantime.
    please understand that even once work begins it will probably take 6months so you are not going to see people falling over themselves to volunteer.

@dcgreenwood if you are desperate for the EP vibe but willing to forego the rules system, there are conversions for both Savage Worlds (community Savage Singularity) and Fate (official) both of which have working rulesets on FG. There are also a load of extensions and experienced players who might help you to adapt the Savage Worlds ruleset and create a library module.

As for the real rulesystem, I think it's a great idea and I will get involved, when I advance on a couple of my other projects, including Shadowrun. But damned is right. If you want to do it anywhere near well, it's not going to be a weekend's work.

Cheers

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by dcgreenwood View Post
    First, I looked through the FG wiki for a modern type theme, and the only one I found that works with CoreRPG is Traveller, which is OK but a little TOO traveller specific. I couldn't find anything else on the web. Does anyone know of a modern / cyberpunk / space travel appropriate theme?
    If by theme you mean graphics, I can handle all the graphics of an Eclipse Phase ruleset. And I'm willing to do it, but only once there's a working prototype.

OK, damned, message received. From what you say, a ruleset is not something I should consider myself. I can work on a design spec, perhaps that will help in the future.
    I have started exploring the other rulesets - I sure like the Shadowrun. But looking at the others, makes me realize what a great job the developer of the WFRP3 ruleset that I'm used to (done by a guy named Philip Boujon) did, with the degree of automation and library content, including a custom die set. I see I am pretty spoiled. WFRP has the advantage that its license is kind of in limbo (at least the license holders don't care much about content duplication).

Anyway, I'm looking at the other rulesets to see if kludging a game with any of them would work better than with the CoreRPG. Mainly in having a character sheet that has the fields needed to duplicate an EP sheet. I really do like the shadow run - pity its all d6.

Thanks also for the suggestion for Savage worlds conversion. Worth looking into.

Blog Entries
    Im not suggesting that at all
    It can be done - with lots of patience and lots of questions and some serious hair pulling.
    Im doing a ruleset now (a simpler one I believe that EP but dont tell anyone that) so it is achievable.

There are a few guys here (not me) who are actual programmers, for whom the task is a lot easier - but still at least 100 hours (honestly) and quite possibly a lot more.
    It needs to be done by someone who has a real interest in the ruleset - its a labour of love and it requires ongoing maintenance.

No matter what - it is a long term project is the point of what I was making as opposed to its not possible or you cant do it.

OK, but I am sure that I don't have 200 hours for such a project. If it were a matter of taking an existing one and just tweaking it, that maybe I could do. But I do think a real new ruleset is beyond me. Either way though, making a design spec would be the first thing to do, so once I've done that, that can either serve as a guide for someone else to do the coding, or maybe suggest to me some minor tweaks that would be doable.

I am going going to look at the WFRP libraries because there are a few gaps.bugs that maybe I can figure out. That could give me a little exposure to how it is set up.

Let me ask you though - approaching a new ruleset, where do YOU start? Is there a typical methodology (like start with the character sheet, then yyy, then zzz?

Thread Information