Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Max Image Size

Max Image Size

What is a good guideline for the largest size image a GM should use with Fantasy Grounds. I'm assuming good internet connections for the GM and players, as a bad connection would obviously lower the guideline. (I remember seeing a preload image option somewhere but it escapes me now.)
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

For maps/images, images larger than 2048x2048 tend to get into special handling both within FG and the graphics driver, so I try to keep my maps under that. Plus the size of the file increases by the square of a side.

For tokens, it depends on how many tokens are shared with players, since they need to be transferred/checked on initial connection. I tend to keep my creatures in the 50x50 range, and let the characters use those or scale down to 100x100 or less.

The bottom line is that larger images take longer to transfer and more graphic resources to display.

Regards,
    JPG

I personally find that the max size depend on the type of game, and the scale used.

It's a practical issue: a medieval longbow could have an effective range of 150-200 meters, assuming 50 pixels for a 2 meter grid square you're going to need a lot of map to cover it. To take a d20 5' grid system, that's even worst, said bow would have 6600 pixel range.

Place you archer in the center of the map with no chasing around, that's over 13000×13000 pixels. In theory perfectly manageable with long preloading (or fiber) on any computer, but the current FG will probably choke on it.

It gets worse with cavalry running around, or magical weapon that increase range.

With tactical grid combat and long range weapon in your rpg, or various scale unit in the same fight (like infantry alongside cavalry), urban combat or even better inside combat is probably FG's friend.

On the other hand, the exact same fight with Fate can be drawn on a small napkin

That doesn't really help you, I know. I would suggest you do some practical test, see what can you and your players handle.

Actually, that helps me a lot Blacky. It shows that someone else is seeing things the way I am which allows me to get past the questioning myself and on to finding a solution. Thanks.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

I would also suggest permanent use of compressing image software, mainly ScriptPNG and for maps ScriptJPG. ScriptJPG can help you get rid of a lot of bytes.

Also depends on your role-playing setting, outdoors or indoors, modern or fantasy. Obviously as Blacky points out an outdoor setting with weapons with long ranges, is going to be best on a map that is scaled up to more of a landscape map than a fine detail map. I ran a game a while ago in a WWII setting with lots of outdoor action, because of the weapons and ranges involved, I ended up using scans of WWII recon photography along with modern day street maps.

In complete contrast were\ indoors maps, where ranges are not going to be much more than arms length or across a room, you can jump up the scale and go for a higher res map when indoors. At least that is my opinion.
    Last edited by Tailz Silver Paws; December 4th, 2014 at 07:04.
    Tailz, the Artist of Studio WyldFurr
    Follow Studio WyldFurr on Twitter, Facebook, and the studio web site.
    "The London Underground, is not a resistance movement!"

Indoors can be quite big. Even without fantasy, something like Notre-Dame d'Amiens is (5' grid, 50 pixels per grid square) 3900 pixels long, not counting annexes and such, just 3900 pixels of straight line of fire (more if you open the doors and snipe through them).

One doesn't do a scaled tactical grid-size battle in Amiens every night, but it can very well happen from time to time (I shudder to think about the size of the Imperium Cathedrals in 40K )

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Indoors can be quite big. Even without fantasy, something like Notre-Dame d'Amiens is (5' grid, 50 pixels per grid square) 3900 pixels long, not counting annexes and such, just 3900 pixels of straight line of fire (more if you open the doors and snipe through them).

One doesn't do a scaled tactical grid-size battle in Amiens every night, but it can very well happen from time to time (I shudder to think about the size of the Imperium Cathedrals in 40K )
    Indoors can be of a large scale, but such instances I think are the exception rather than the norm. In the bulk of my gaming experience, indoors were hallways, corridors, bedrooms, and various other rooms with large chambers left for "feature" rooms.

But it also comes down to personal choice.

He was asking for the largest image a GM should use, hence the exception

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    He was asking for the largest image a GM should use, hence the exception
    Mmmmm... then that is more of a question of processing power of the computers involved and the network connections between players rather than the scale map artwork is rendered at. I seem to remember FG having a max pixel limit years ago, but I don't think it does anymore. If you have a good network connection, and a good computer, why not see how far you can push it?

Thread Information