5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

What introductory to play with absolute RPG novices?

Hi!

For our company gaming nights I am thinking about whether to offer an introductory RPG session (offline).

We are talking about 80% young women, pretty much all non-gamers (which can be an advantage).

What I cannot wrap my mind around yet, is what kind of scenario to use. It has to be a one shot, offer enough interaction between players, involve little actual rules and mechanics and be finished in 2-3 rounds.

Any ideas how to get this cat into the bag?

Does it actually have to be an RPG? Some of the simi-RPG board games like "Hero Quest" or "Dungeon!" would offer a good first time experience. Even if you didn't use the board you could just use the mechanics and characters, they are simple to understand.

Or to get people used to the idea, a narrative game like "Penny for your Thoughts" or "Fiasco".
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Risen from the Sands isnt too long
    and the pdf is a free download
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Toon works as well. If you want something more complex you might run something with fudge dice, or for Fantasy use Tunnels and Trolls.

Cairn is a new game with a nice simple system, suitable for introducing beginners and children to roleplaying games. https://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/131899/Cairn-RPG
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

AS the players have no background in gaming I'd recommend steering clear of the D&D systems and derivatives. Go with an easy to pick up system - Savage Worlds, Fate, or Cairn as Valarian suggests.

Pick a scenario that slowly introduces the players to role-playing - guiding initially and then opening up to allow them to explore the freedom of RPGs. Be prepared to not get too far but provide a satisfactory conclusion, but also be prepared for the players to get right into it and make a lot of progress. Essentially have lots of options that you can use if they progress really fast, but be prepared to drop them if they take their time. This means you might have to redesign portions of your chosen scenario to cater for this. I wouldn't include too much combat (and definitely not dungeon crawling), have action scenes though - perhaps a more pulpy style game. Have them be heroes & heroines and let them explore the freedom of choices and escapism that RPGs give.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by AstaSyneri View Post
    Hi!
    For our company gaming nights I am thinking about whether to offer an introductory RPG session (offline).
    Any ideas how to get this cat into the bag?
    Talk to each of them ahead of time if you can and ask them what THEY think it is going to be like and what other games they have played in the past.

Blog Entries
    With 80% young women, perhaps some horror. Savage Worlds' the Wyld Hunt available for free with test drive rules. This could work to your advantage since they're likely to avoid confrontation.
    Also games like Munchkin or Fiasco would be good.
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Thread Information