DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Dungeonscape and WotC part ways

And Smiteworks was JUST in Seattle....

https://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...nscape-no-more

VenomousFiligree
    Whilst I would love Smiteworks to get a license for FG, I'd not want it for what Dungeonscape was aimed at. It would take development focus away from FG.

I don't think Smiteworks getting a license would mean they would build a character builder. I think it likely they would just make an official 5E ruleset and/or a Basic D&D ruleset. This continues WotC's perfect failure streak with the first version of each software character builder.

the 4e character bui der was ok?And i still know gamers who swear by the cd-rom made for second edition. But seriously the 5e rule set for fantasy grounds is solid and it would be great for smiteworks if it got some official recognition

The first software effort of 4E failed spectacularly - it was suppose to do everything and suppose to be ready at the time of 4E's release. DDI and character builder came later. That's kinda been the pattern, initial software effort flops and someone, not WotC, finishes. WotC has a truly horrible record with software, with GameTable being the latest. They simply don't know how to do software, and have had some bad luck as well.

In all fairness, Dungeonscape/Morningstar appears to not have been WotC's fault, so I was probably a bit over the top there. I was just thinking of the 4E Launch where they did an totally avoidable and foreseeable DoS on themselves with their own count down timer. At least they avoided that with 5E.

I just hope they line someone else up pretty quick. It would be nice if they would just give the Character Builder license to someone who is already well-established in that business. They have already proven themselves and don't have to build from the ground up.

I agree with you - give it to PCGen, HeroLabs or anyone else who has already done one. Better, license it to them all with certain quality standards and let them compete.

Yeah, first one who can produce accurate and complete results wins!

We already have everything built and ready to go for 5e.

Thread Information