STAR TREK 2d20

Any Way to Create a Welcome Banner to Players When They Connect?

Is there any way in FG to have a "Welcome Banner" pop up on a user's interface when they first connect to a session?

I know that anything in the chat window, maps, and notes shared prior to their connection won't be seen by the new user.

I'm thinking of perhaps a "Welcome Banner" keyword use in a Public Note title that pops it onto the screen automatically upon player connection.

A GM could create a note on the host machine and mark it Public prior to any player connections so that he could start up the server early and leave it unattended. A player would connect and immediately see:

"The Toothless Quest Welcome Banner!"
    Game time starts at 8PM EST tonight.
    Make sure to level up your characters prior to the session.
    Also, remember to look at the loot list again. Someone has
    to start carrying this stuff or I'm going to delete it.
    If you forgot our TeamSpeak info, here it is...

I feel this would be an invaluable feature and widely used.

And don't just take my word for it... Vote for the feature someone's already asked for!

https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=73417

You could make it part of the GM's background image. But yes this sounds like it could be useful.

Just narrowing this discussion down to CoreRPG for the moment. Would it be possible to hook into the Desktop.onInit() function to look for a specifically named image in the campaign database (for instance "welcome_banner_image") and display it immediately after buildDesktop() is complete? This would require modifying desktop.lua a little bit, but it seems feasible. Then could you make it a little more flexible by allowing the campaign author to "tag" the specific image they want to display (add another piece of metadata to one of the campaign images to check for) rather than keying off of a hard-coded name? In any case, this doesn't seem like an insurmountable problem and would probably make a nice extension.

My guess is that this could be done in a similar way for other non-CoreRPG-derived rulesets as well.

Blog Entries
    i think this would be a useful feature. I think a story entry might be most useful a it could link to any (all) other shared resources....
    Should vote on it over at the wishlist...

MOTD extension

Try this for a quick effort.

How to use:
    1. Activate the "Message of the Day" extension.
    2. Create a story entry called MOTD
    3. Share it (this will make it public) - make sure the (P) icon appears to the right of the story entry list to show that it is public.

Then each time your players log in they will see the MOTD story entry. It will be displayed behind the "Character Selection" screen (there's nothing I can do about this).

Extension available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...D%29-Extension
    Last edited by Trenloe; October 21st, 2014 at 13:15.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Try this for a quick effort.

How to use:
    1. Activate the "Message of the Day" extension.
    2. Create a story entry called MOTD
    3. Share it (this will make it public) - make sure the (P) icon appears to the right of the story entry list to show that it is public.

Then each time your players log in they will see the MOTD story entry. It will be displayed behind the "Character Selection" screen (there's nothing I can do about this).
    I've been hoping for something like this for a long time. Thank you!
    Is this for CoreRpg and CoreRpg-based only?
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Quote Originally Posted by Mask_of_winter View Post
    I've been hoping for something like this for a long time. Thank you!
    Is this for CoreRpg and CoreRpg-based only?
    I haven't put a ruleset tag against it so it can be selected in any ruleset, however it makes use of the CoreRPG OOBManager message handler so it will probably only work for CoreRPG and CoreRPG layered rulesets.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The extension looks great. Being behind the character selection box isn't a problem as you can easily see it in the background.

Thanks for putting this together.

Made a proper place for the extension to live: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...D%29-Extension

Blog Entries
    Well done. I think a PM to JPG with a request for inclusion into CoreRPG would be worth a shot!
    Also I just had a peek at your code and lots of comments - yippee! Well done.

Thread Information