Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Can I run FG twice on same computer - switching from GM to Player and back ?

I was thinking of using FG offline as a gaming tool recently. Running both player and GM modes from the same computer. Then using an external projector for the player screen.

I am not sure how to do this. Do I simply create a separate copy of the application folders. Is this even possible?

Blog Entries
    Yes you can do this.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

It's very easy. No need to copy/install anything extra. Open up a second instance of FG on the same computer, with the GM already running and "Join game" but use a host address of localhost - this is a special setting that allows a player instance on the same computer to connect without license issues.

Only do this once - don't run more than one player instance on the same computer.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Only do this once - don't run more than one player instance on the same computer.
    Out of curiosity, why only once? I think I've done it for more than one player instance at a time in the past. When I was testing to see if the GM (me) would see the whispers from one player to another (both me as well)

Quote Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
    Out of curiosity, why only once? I think I've done it for more than one player instance at a time in the past. When I was testing to see if the GM (me) would see the whispers from one player to another (both me as well)
    I've encountered weird errors when testing things with 2 clients running. If I remember correctly the cache was having issues because both player connections were trying to write to the same cache file and it was in a locked state.

Quote Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
    What Dakadin and damned say is correct. The player side of FG is constantly using and updating files in the campaign cache directory. Having 2 *player* instances of FG running on the same computer can cause FG to crash or corrupt the player cache which will cause all sorts of unexplained issues. This might not happen immediately, but it will happen sooner or later.
    Last edited by Trenloe; October 14th, 2014 at 01:33.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Dulux, your videos have multiple player instances running. You might want to modify the videos to warn your audience not to try it at home?

Thread Information