STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last
    Ok, so apparently I am doing something completely wrong! I finally got a chance last night to test this and couldn't get it to work at all. I have the most recent v4 updates, I have all of the extensions and nothing I did allowed me to set a hit detection option in the menu. I tried just holding control while doing the roll both in the combat tracker and from the sheet of each participant, I tried having my players do this, and at no time did we get anything other than the normal FG functionality. I highly doubt it's a bug but much more likely it is something I did wrong, but yeah it didn't work for us last night in any manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanunn View Post
    Ok, so apparently I am doing something completely wrong! I finally got a chance last night to test this and couldn't get it to work at all. I have the most recent v4 updates, I have all of the extensions and nothing I did allowed me to set a hit detection option in the menu. I tried just holding control while doing the roll both in the combat tracker and from the sheet of each participant, I tried having my players do this, and at no time did we get anything other than the normal FG functionality. I highly doubt it's a bug but much more likely it is something I did wrong, but yeah it didn't work for us last night in any manner.
    The issue at the moment is that current version of Savage Worlds v4 in DEV-mode does not include it yet. I don't know why but it was never pushed there although we have the build done long ago. To be honest DEV-mode seems to offer very old version of SW4 build. We will be moving the beta testing phase after FG Con so at least then the feature should be available, maybe earlier if Smitework pushes the latest build 8 into DEV-mode. However even that build is little bit behind the development snapshot version.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Thanks to Moon Wizard the build 8 I was refereing is now available via FG Updater if you use DEV-mode. Also make sure to get the latest Enhanced Desktop extension from this post to get all goodies mentioned above.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Blog Entries
    What's the difference between the "default" and "smart" raise calculator?
    I tried the token targeting with auto-apply damage. Everything works as advertised. Good job man!
    Granted you are using a map and tokens this is a nice addition to the ruleset.
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Quote Originally Posted by Mask_of_winter View Post
    What's the difference between the "default" and "smart" raise calculator?
    There is only small difference: When using Default mode you can drag any number and drop it to either field in raise calculator to assign it there. However in Smart mode when you drag number and drop it on the tool, the tool itself will decide to which field it should be assigned to, no basically no matter where you drop your number the tool will use some "intelligence". The "intelligence" is simple: If your dragged number is Derived Stat then assign it to Target, otherwise to Score. The reason behind this mode is that there is no case in Savage Worlds to make Derived Stat a score, it's always target number. If Derived Stat is not used as target, then it's always 4 according to rules.

But my favorite way to manage this is to double-click any number on CT or in sheet to assign it automatically to Raise Calcualtor (instead of slow drag-and-drop). For instance in combat tracker is targeting is used, targeted entries are highlighted in blue so I can easily find it, double click that entry's parry and/or toughness to quickly assign it to raise calculator. When character makes roll, I just drag the result in chat on raise calculator and I see the output.

I tried the token targeting with auto-apply damage. Everything works as advertised. Good job man!
    Thanks There is more yet to come slowly-but-surely

Granted you are using a map and tokens this is a nice addition to the ruleset.
    Even if you are not using maps you can still utilize targeting feature. As GM you can hold down CTRL and click token on combat tracker to mark it as targeted for currently active combatant. Thereafter everything else is like you do with maps.
    EDIT: Sorry this statement is not 100% true, you still need to assign tokens on map/image so full targeting support is granted. You don't have to use tokens on map, but they must exist in one for targeting to work. I might check if this could be skipped in future versions, but for now targeting & hit/damage detection only works for battles where tokens are on map
    Last edited by Ikael; October 11th, 2014 at 19:05.

That said, I might need to focus on Chase Tracker as well, because it lack some features (pointed to me by Doswelk, thanks). Targeting and auto-apply-Joker features might be very useful there as well

Request for community: targeting and result icons

Some time ago I was asking if people would be willing to help me to define targeting and result icons which would be diplayed in chat when targeting is used. CoreRPG provides icons to deal these, but it would be nice to have Savage Worlds-related icons. Personally I believe following icons are nice to have:

• Melee attack Missed
    • Melee attack Hit
    • Melee attack Raised
    • Ranged attack Missed
    • Ranged attack Hit
    • Ranged attack Raised
    • Damage: Unharmed
    • Damage: Shaken
    • Damage: 1 Wound
    • Damage: 2 Wounds
    • Damage: 3 Wounds
    • Damage: 4 Wounds
    • Damage: n Wounds (4 wounds are enough to take anyone out, so beyond that this icon is used)

If we have interested artists within community who would like to provide helping hand, it would be very much approaciated because personally I am not savvy in creating new graphics.

To help to work I have provided small extension to this post: SW Targeting Icons Tester
    This extension allows you to test your icons in practise. Within the extension you can find .png files regarding all above mentioned icons. and the benefit in the tool is that if you want to try out your version of icons just replace existing ones within the extension, enable it in your FG and type one of the following slash-commands:

Code:
    /test
    /showoff
    These commands will show you how your icons would look like in practise. So instead of trying to reproduce wanted situations you can see the output with simple slash-command. Showoff command provides more real fight-looking output while test provides just icons without real context. If we get some nice icons I am willing to update existing codebase to support them. You can post your updates either to this thread or send me PM/email regarding it.
    Last edited by Ikael; October 11th, 2014 at 12:49.

We've finally gotten a chance to test this (was hoping to just wait til it hit the test slot, but couldn't wait any longer . One thing we've noticed is that every time someone presses control, targeting is turned off for them. There's a little button right above the + Damage d6 at the bottom of the screen that is affected by Control Key presses. When that is lit up, targetting works fine, when it is dim, targetting does not work. It is toggled with the Control key, which is the same key needed to target a token on the map or in the tracker. Is there some way to keep that little button from being disabled by Control presses? I can see at least two of my players getting rather frustrated by that.

Quote Originally Posted by Irondrake View Post
    We've finally gotten a chance to test this (was hoping to just wait til it hit the test slot, but couldn't wait any longer . One thing we've noticed is that every time someone presses control, targeting is turned off for them. There's a little button right above the + Damage d6 at the bottom of the screen that is affected by Control Key presses. When that is lit up, targetting works fine, when it is dim, targetting does not work. It is toggled with the Control key, which is the same key needed to target a token on the map or in the tracker. Is there some way to keep that little button from being disabled by Control presses? I can see at least two of my players getting rather frustrated by that.
    EDITED to be more detailed:

In newest version (not released yet) that is possible with new preference options. By original design that is intended behavior. CTRL is meant to toggle targeting on and off. You can make sure you will do targeting by holding CTRL down while making the roll, so first you should do targeting on map normally ignoring of targeting icon is on or off and when you're about to make the roll start holding CTRL down and drag your dices or double-click to make the roll (when you are dragging or see dices rolling you can let go already). Targeting is not meant to be enabled on all the time only when roll is about to be made.

However in the newest version we provide alternative ways to do targeting to support different play styles. For instance this hold CTRL down become non-default approach, but you can enable it in preference options. The default style is that you either drag-and-drop dices on token or you manually have to click the targeting toggle on/off. Actually in the current development version the targeting toggle has three new state: OFF / ON / TARGETING FORCED AGAINST PARRY. The last state is to allow you to make ranged attack roll against parry if situation requires that. If you want to use shortcut keys, then you can enable basic targeting by holding CTRL down, if you want to enable "targeting forced against parry" you must hold ALT down.

The main reason why shortcut keys become optional is that they interfer hotkey usages. People who want to use hotkeys should always disable targeting shortcut keys, other like me, when GMing who don't put rollable dices in hotkeys can consider using targeting shortcut keys. At least for myself it makes my GMing so much faster when I can quickly target victims for NPCs on map, hold CTRL down and double-click trait on their CT entry.

Thanks for the feedback by the way! There are several play styles and we don't want to force you to use single style. We might need to document targeting feature because it's so new feature and seems to be unintuitive for SW users who stumble at it first time.
    Last edited by Ikael; October 20th, 2014 at 06:59.

Damage confirmation feature

Savage Worlds 4.0 build 9 is almost available in DEV-mode. This build has lots of improvements in Hit & Damage detection, but in addition to those, I have also worked my Enhanced Extensions slightly. My currently favorite new feature: "Damage Confirmation" is just released Enhanced Combat Tracker v1.6 build 3 (you can find it from this post). This feature can be enabled by selecting new preference state in "Auto-apply Damage" option called "confirm".

When the feature is enabled and you make targeted damage roll, the result is displayed in chat normally, but instead of applying results directly to victim, the result is also rendered below combatant in combat tracker. Thereafter GM has options to adjust the damage roll score, effective toughness or even assign soak roll result, and three of these values will output the result which GM and apply or cancel with press of button. See attached images.

EDIT: Small update on this feature, new Enhanced Combat Tracker extension uploaded to support following feature: Any number can be dragged and dropped on Combat Tracker entry's token icon to add that score as damage against given combatant. The damage won't auto-apply, instead it will create confirmation entry.
    Last edited by Ikael; October 22nd, 2014 at 21:39.

Thread Information