DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 65 of 158 First ... 1555636465666775115 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    Welcome to the forums, GrandUbermensch. I have to say I just do not get the drive to see the tops of everyone's heads. I personally have no use for top-down stuff. You get so much more detail and character from a front-on pog. Since it isn't like the VTT is 3d, I just don't get the top-down things. (and they aren't even really top-down but kind of 10 degrees down, which itself cries out the weakness of the format)
    Morning, Bidmaron!
    Thanks for the warm welcome! Anyhow, I think I will have to respectfully disagree. While portraits are undoubtedly better at displaying the detail of a character, there are definitely top-down token authors (e.g. Devin Night) who make exemplary, distinguishable tokens. All in all, I think it just comes down to a matter of taste between players. As such, considering it would only be an option, nothing more or less, I think this would be a very beneficial feature to implement.

EDIT: Thanks for the tip to about the checklist! I will definitely add it in. By the way, yeah, I am quite aware of how significant of an architecture improvement would be required to even come close to this capability, especially if would start so late the development. Anyhow, like you said yourself, this all simply 'fluff.'
    Last edited by CatoThe1stElder; January 21st, 2018 at 20:24.

I'd like to leave the circa 2004 at some point hopefully. Multi-threading is probably the biggest gain to prevent sharing maps/modules from freezing clients or hosts in wait routines.

The current 20s fad is memes, so I memed it.

Haha, I am glad to know that members of the forum have exquisite taste for modern meme culture

To each their own. I do agree having the option for either would be great. I just wish I could get devin to do some front-on pogs. He'd make some more sales. I gotta believe he is using 3d models, so the incremental level of effort to do front-ons would be minor. Oh, well, it saves me money at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    I gotta believe he is using 3d models, so the incremental level of effort to do front-ons would be minor.
    I just ordered 4 tokens from Devin, and I'm pretty sure he hand draws everything instead of using 3D models. He always sends rough sketches first of all tokens.
    Also, he did some illustration work for me as well, so if you want front-facing pogs, you might be able to just commission him for it. Prices are always reasonable, but there's usually a bit of a waiting list.
    Last edited by Mellock; January 21st, 2018 at 22:23.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellock View Post
    I just ordered 4 tokens from Devin, and I'm pretty sure he hand draws everything instead of using 3D models. He always sends rough sketches first of all tokens.
    Also, he did some illustration work for me as well, so if you want front-facing pogs, you might be able to just commission him for it. Prices are always reasonable, but there's usually a bit of a waiting list.
    Agreed - his tokens look nothing like the ones created on/with 3d models.

I tend to be dismissive of the “pog” style of token, and I regard them as nothing better than placeholders awaiting a better looking “top-down” token to be added before dropping an npc onto the combat tracker. To be fair, though, the true top-down tokens I’ve seen aren’t very good; the best tokens are more accurately described as isometric, looking more like Diablo II or III characters, or units from WarCraft.

Quote Originally Posted by epithet View Post
    I tend to be dismissive of the “pog” style of token, and I regard them as nothing better than placeholders awaiting a better looking “top-down” token to be added before dropping an npc onto the combat tracker. To be fair, though, the true top-down tokens I’ve seen aren’t very good; the best tokens are more accurately described as isometric, looking more like Diablo II or III characters, or units from WarCraft.
    Do you mind providing a specific example? I am little confused by what exactly is your preferred style.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Agreed - his tokens look nothing like the ones created on/with 3d models.
    For the record we commissioned Devin to do all the Tokens in the new 13th Age CoreRules and Bestiary Modules (ETA = Soon(TM))
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    I'd like to leave the circa 2004 at some point hopefully. Multi-threading is probably the biggest gain to prevent sharing maps/modules from freezing clients or hosts in wait routines.
    We need to manage people's expectations here. FGU will *not* be 100% multi-threaded. Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post339564
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information