5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 62 of 158 First ... 1252606162636472112 ... Last
    Will FGU be online like roll20 or still stuck with this whole annoying server / client model that is a royal pain in the arse?

Quote Originally Posted by kaffien View Post
    Will FGU be online like roll20 or still stuck with this whole annoying server / client model that is a royal pain in the arse?
    If they agree with this model it would be possible to host online.

Server/client.
    But we think it will use more modern networking api, including ipv6.

Blog Entries
    If it goes online like Roll20 (SaaS) then I will not use it.

One of the three key reasons I bought FG was that it was a client-server architecture. There are many benefits and compromises to both architectures. The two most important benefits to a client-server architecture for me are:
    1) I do not need internet access to develop my content or (in many cases) to play.
    2) If the hosting company goes out of business, not only do I not lose everything I bought, but everything I have developed.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    It won't be an online only model but it also won't have any need to do port forwarding.

The Master of Guts doth spake sooth ‘n stuff.

FG being Client/Server is a huge part of why I chose it and spent what I have on it.

One of the reasons I no longer buy OReilly books is they killed the store and went to online view only. Now only O books I get are on Humble Bundle . That said, bought many books from Manners my, Informit and Prag Programmer this November/December.

I like the server/client thing, but I wish it allowed for a host client and then the ability to connect to it as a DM from another location so I can take my laptop around and run games/leave games running full time on the desktop for persistant PbP style games.
    I live and dream.

Just to clarify, we are looking at a model to give you the option to host locally on your machine, or via a cloud server. The GM machine will still control the cloud server and handle all communication. If you use a personal server, it will work similar to today (requires port forwarding, but tries UPnP to auto configure). A game management server will be used to publish game information based on your FG user name.

This is the current prototype we are working with. It may evolve over time.

Cheers,
    JPG

I guess that's a step in the right direction at least :P

If they can duplicate something like Skirmish VT's connection model I'd be happy.

D20pro has a 'listed server' approach, akin to game lobbies which also works. I'm thinking the listed server model but a hidden list would be better. Load up your campaign, and have people join on a direct name hit. Don't let two servers list the same name. Easy Peasy.

Of coarse if there are settings configured for port forwarding, use those over others. I'd picture this like Table-top Simulator's hosted model in that regard.

Thread Information