Starfinder Playlist
Page 55 of 158 First ... 545535455565765105155 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    I have to add my two cents in here. I have never regretted my decision to purchase the ultimate license. For me, the ability to host free games was the primary selling point. After doing the math, it works out to about $0.22 an hour of game time for pathfinder. Fantasy Grounds was worth every penny.

As for updating to Unity, I'd be happy to pay a upgrade fee of $75. To be honest, I'd pay full price again, but that option sucks for long time users. Make the upgrade fee less than full amount for customer appreciation.

Now that we can buy D&D and Paizo modules, I know that I'll be gladly giving them an extra $300 this year. I hope they look at that revenue when they figure out the ultimate upgrade fee. I just bought $100 worth of D&D and I am anxiously awaiting Carrion Crown 5 and Strange Aeons 5.

Bottom line is yes, I'll upgrade to Unity and I have faith that SmiteWorks will come up with something fair for everyone.

Ive been also using Ultimate license for years now. And the hourly cost for games is just pennies. I would gladly make a one time payment of 100$ to continue using my ultimate license in year to come with the new engine.

I will pay if Unity version comes with better networking efficiency and it runs without overheating my Mac

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by g0ntzal View Post
    I will pay if Unity version comes with better networking efficiency and it runs without overheating my Mac
    try turning off Cross Compatibility Mode (or similar) in your FG settings and see if you Mac calms down a little.... it was added for Macs but it seems most dont require it.
    as for the networking... you will have to wait on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    try turning off Cross Compatibility Mode (or similar) in your FG settings and see if you Mac calms down a little.... it was added for Macs but it seems most dont require it.
    I’ll follow your advice. Honestly, last version of FG for Mac is running much better (on High Sierra).

as for the networking... you will have to wait on that one!
    I can wait. If first connections to a campaign are less time demanding and without ruleset or xml errors I’ll be a full satisfied customer.

Another new features are welcomed but smooth performance and retro compatibility are key features for me.

A upgrade fee makes sense to me as a way to keep users while paying for development of a new system. It's what historically was done with Windows or Office upgrades. But If I'm reading the last bit of this thread correctly I think we're coming to a point of asking how to maintain development. We've all seen that even the best Android app developers seem to still need to ask for donations to keep the app up to date.

As a consumer I like to outright buy things, but expectations from end users have also has reached a point of wanting continuous release updates which are unmaintainable based on sales of the initial product. FG seems to have some flexibility based on also selling content but I assume the margins on the best selling items from the Coastal Wizards are rather slim.

You may be stuck having to go the way of Microsoft and offer both a stand alone and a subscription version which while sharing a base offer different features. So what optional features would users be willing to pay for without it reaching the dreaded point of making everything DLC? I think the key is keeping them as 'nice to have' rather then required. Of course when you add a nice to have you then also have more maintenance work.

I think there may be a market for a sever version and optional hosting. FGU Server or Hosted Server & FGU. I would pay extra up front to be able to run my own hosted version, and others may be willing to pay service fee to have a SaaS version hosted. In theory the same base software could run all 3. It would give you an edge over competitors by offering hosting with a better streamlined client than a browser.

You could also tie automation of new mechanics to their respective releases while then offering them as optional stand alone additions for those who want to use them without the source book. But I don't know how often that really happens.

What about something like buy in for new features to fund them like kick-starter on a small scale? Or trying something more radical like selling stocks in a feature to fund development where investors get a % of the feature sales? Feature buy based on game types? I would only have paid for 5e for example but then as my groups are talking about playing other things more I might buy Pathfinder or pay a discount for all ruleset automation. However as you focus development based on demand you can end up losing some users as their focus does not develop as fast since it's lacking subsidizes from the high demand item sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Modu View Post
    Sure, people who play MMOs also get great value, because that's the nature of these games. You spend a lot of time on them. I used to play MUDs that charged by the hour, that was a bad scene. I digress.
    People are different. I would probably play LOTS more MMOs if it weren't for the high monthly fee. Sometimes I go months between when I feel like playing. I'd gladly pay a (small!) hourly rate to play, with the standard subscription price being the "unlimited" plan. I often am in the mood to play for a few hours but don't want to drop $15 and then have to remember to unsubscribe. So I don't play.

Blog Entries
    My biggest objection to the monthly fee structure isn't even the price, it's the fact that when those companies decide to fold, or that they just aren't into us anymore, we can't use the software anymore, despite the hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours we've invested in the product. I much rather 'own' the system I use and not have to worry about if the Smiteworks staff has all moved to a beach somewhere.

Well, technically Doug already did move to a beach (He bought a house in Florida last year, just in time for Hurrican season.

But since Smiteworks has been around for almost ten years now I think your purchases are safe, plus should they ever have to fold I'm confidant that they won't leave their user base in the lurch. Except maybe the subscription users.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Well, technically Doug already did move to a beach (He bought a house in Florida last year, just in time for Hurrican season.

But since Smiteworks has been around for almost ten years now I think your purchases are safe, plus should they ever have to fold I'm confidant that they won't leave their user base in the lurch. Except maybe the subscription users.
    My guess is - unless something catastrophic happened - there would be a final engine update that removed licensing checks so your license would just work...

Thread Information