FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 90 of 158 First ... 40808889909192100140 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notrealdan View Post
    Lots of apps handle multiple monitors just fine through the use of several windows. Maybe this would be too radical a change, but FG could someday ditch the extra desktop it introduces and put everything in actual windows. Then you can arrange things on several monitors however you wish. Sort of like how GIMP does it, is what I have in mind.

Just be careful not to roll your virtual dice into the Recycle Bin...
    Obviously, if they went that route then we'd have a cool customizable dice tray to roll everything in, with the results copied to the chatbox...
    I'm not stupid, I'm not expendable, and I'm not going!

(But I'll happily be GM...)

if we are throwing random features out there. a bubble in skills that force them to autoroll in the dice tower. would be great for people relying on trackpads or with limited room

Quote Originally Posted by gaara6666 View Post
    if we are throwing random features out there...
    Or you could throw them in the FG wishlist where they belong: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I know trenloe I was stealth bumping the thread so it didnt die lol

Quote Originally Posted by gaara6666 View Post
    I know trenloe I was stealth bumping the thread so it didnt die lol
    Hahaha! That's cool...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'm the guy that made a suggestion for microsoft windows-like windows management and started the screen management discussion.

Not everyone likes windows 10 and it may even be impossible to achieve. I get that. Anyway, as a windows 10 user some things bother me a lot when I need to resize FG windows:

1. Sometimes it's hard to hit the right pixel/spot where you can actually click to resize each window. Not just on custom ruleset themes made by users, but on standard themes as well. The complex visual corners may be good looking, but the real clickable corners are sometimes hard to hit. You can always press control for another way to resize windows, but why the pixel mismatch?
    2. Why can you click to resize only on the bottom/right corner/side? Why not the top-left ones?

I think it wouldnt hurt to have those stuff a bit more similar to windows 10.

Now more on advanced UI changing stuff (that may also be impossible):

I personally think it would be better if maps and handouts where handled differently, having different icons on the right side bar. Handouts could open the way they already do, opening on the center of the screen, just not requiring grid support and combat tracker integration. But maps should be special as they are a greater part of the game like the chat and combat tracker windows.

It would be great if maps were to open inside a special "Maps" window, with fixed position and dimensions predefined by you. Perhaps with scroll bars like the chat window (vertical AND horizontal). Each map would then open inside that window with tabs like the google chrome browser to toggle between them. Detaching a tab to make a new window, possibly outside the main FG window, would really be a plus.
    Last edited by gandhi39; May 2nd, 2018 at 23:35.

ULTIMATE LICENSE OWNER

Quote Originally Posted by gandhi39 View Post
    1. Sometimes it's hard to hit the right pixel/spot where you can actually click to resize each window. Not just on custom ruleset themes made by users, but on standard themes as well. The complex visual corners may be good looking, but the real clickable corners are sometimes hard to hit. You can always press control for another way to resize windows, but why the pixel mismatch?
    This is not a base issue with FG, but an issue with the coding of the window frame within a specific graphical element/theme. A lot of theme developers change the graphics for a window frame, but don't then check/change the resize hotspots for the new frame.

This is coded via the insideoffset parameter as part of framedef within the FG XML. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/framedef.xcp So, it's totally do-able, it's just that each developer needs to be aware of this, test resizing when they change frames and adjust as required.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhi39 View Post
    2. Why can you click to resize only on the bottom/right corner/side? Why not the top-left ones?
    Good idea - please add to the wishlist: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Am I the only one who likes FG the way it is? lol Windows 10 is fine and all, but I think that's beside the point really. The point isn't windows 10, but FG. I personally like FG's windows the way they are. It works for me. I think a lot people just don't know how to properly organise their windows lol. I recommend watching this video, it really helped me a lot.

https://https://www.youtube.com/watc...bYuQyq8Bw&t=0s

Organise your windows however you want. But I don't think it's necessary to go and change FG entirely to look like GIMP or something. If you change it to that degree, then alot of the extensions, including themes, may become unusable, and they've already said they don't want to do that, right? They want to make sure all the work the community has done will still be compatible, right? I made my own theme extension for my game, and I really like it and like what I've done with it. I really don't want it to become unusable with Unity.

Quote Originally Posted by shadelon View Post
    Am I the only one who likes FG the way it is? lol Windows 10 is fine and all, but I think that's beside the point really. The point isn't windows 10, but FG. I personally like FG's windows the way they are. It works for me. I think a lot people just don't know how to properly organise their windows lol.
    I agree with this. It's easy to forget that there is a huge silent majority out there (many thousands of users) who get on and game with FG all the time. I know that only a small portion of those users visit the forums, and even less voice an opinion. But the ability for all users to be able to carry on and use FG as they do now is important. And I'm glad SmiteWorks are very aware of this.

I'm sure there's a wide range of how people use FG: how they position windows, how they open/close/minimize them, etc., etc.. There's no right or wrong way - go with what works for you. But I think most people will admit that having other options to aid with window organization within FG will be a good thing. Options are good, not wholesale changes or forced functionality, for various reasons: including backwards compatibility, current user familiarity, community extensions, functionality expectations, use if you want/don't use if you don't want, etc.. Don't force auto-sizing, auto-positioning, auto-maximising, auto-minimising, auto-whatever...

Blog Entries
    Agreed about options. One of the great strengths of the software is that people can use it differently, and people have taken advantage of that to create some really amazing things which only enhance the user base. I don't see SmiteWorks as the sort to bite the hand that so enthusiastically feeds them.
    I'm not stupid, I'm not expendable, and I'm not going!

(But I'll happily be GM...)

Thread Information