5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Relevent Info for Open Gaming people

WotC appears to have issued a C&D to somebody using the Basic Rules in software.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/com...more_but_i_am/

Hardly surprising, knowing WotC's track record with protecting their IP. Thanks for linking the article Nylanfs.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Okay found out some more info after digging. This website allowed people to fill the database that lived on his server with info. And said users filled it with copyrighted info. So it was entirely correct on WotC's part. Although if they would just put out their fricking license already.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Okay found out some more info after digging. This website allowed people to fill the database that lived on his server with info. And said users filled it with copyrighted info. So it was entirely correct on WotC's part. Although if they would just put out their fricking license already.
    Which license are you referring to? They didnt license 4E electronic material to anyone AFAIK. They have licensed some electronic material to DungeonScape but not to anyone else...

Right, but it would be nice if they would state if they are going to have any kind of open license for 5e.

Don't hold your breath. It is in their best interest to do what is _in their own best interest_. If the world is really banging on their door for their IP then they will play games.

I think the way forward is to work from the OGL and not expect anything else. If they share that's great, but I think it's enough to spread the gaming ethos and let them have proprietary systems too.
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

VenomousFiligree
    Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Right, but it would be nice if they would state if they are going to have any kind of open license for 5e.
    While the details are still in flux, we can say that we plan to announce the details of our [OGL] plans sometime this fall. After that announcement, we plan on launching our program in early 2015.

Putting OGL in that quote could well be very misleading - reading the whole of that article there is nothing that says D&D material will be available to distribute in an OGL like format. Three quotes:

... we want to ensure that the quality of anything D&D fans create is as high as possible. The Dungeon Master's Guide will contain the guidelines for creating many elements of the game, from adventures to monsters. ... For that reason, we don't want to launch anything at least until the Dungeon Master's Guide has been released in November.
    Moreover, it's not enough simply to launch anything the day the DMG hits shelves. It'll take time for everyone to absorb the rules and how they all interact. The R&D team can also share what we've learned while working on the game and the traps and challenges to avoid in design.

Therefore, we want to share the timeline we're working with. While the details are still in flux, we can say that we plan to announce the details of our plans sometime this fall. After that announcement, we plan on launching our program in early 2015.
    Once the community has some experience with the game, both we and you will be ready to creating the next wave of material for it.
    This could really be anything - but what I'm reading here is that this "program" is more to do with supporting/allowing fans to create and share new content - not providing existing WotC content in an OGL format.

Hopefully, that's enough information to make our intentions clear.
    No, not really Mike, that's as clear as mud!
    Last edited by Trenloe; September 10th, 2014 at 19:42.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    I cant remember where I read the interview but basically Mike was saying - there will always be people who wont buy the game, who will just pirate the game - so for you we give you the basic edition for free - no need to pirate it. we then have the core books for those who want to expand their game and can afford to add them to their collection. and then he goes on about protecting that IP and pdfs etc not really allowing them to do that.
    i think their strategy for 5E is not to have an OGL. if you want free use the Basic Edition - which will be added to as each core book comes out. Basic is not OGL and is not intended to be OGL. It is kinda like a new type of license.

Thread Information