DICE PACKS BUNDLE

includefile in module?

It doesn't appear that <includefile> can be used in a module, is there any similar mechanism for modules? I'm working on a library module that is getting quite big that I would like to break up into multiple files.

Thanks.

No, modules are assumed to be one file.

Cheers,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenan View Post
    It doesn't appear that <includefile> can be used in a module, is there any similar mechanism for modules? I'm working on a library module that is getting quite big that I would like to break up into multiple files.

Thanks.
    When you say, its getting quite big, could you elaborate further? Do you mean File size? Or number of entries/amount of content?

You can split and organise your module content it in several ways. For example, in the case of NPCs, you could have a single Monster Bestiary containing all your NPCs - but as you say this might get a little unwieldy with large collections of creatures, in which case spanning several module volumes might be the answer or splitting NPCs by type e.g. a Book of Undead, Book of Dragons etc. etc. Its entirely up to you.

I have some pretty big modules ranging from 700K to 60MB in size, however I don't get any problems in gameplay due to the way everything is organised, so size doesn't necessarily mean bad.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

I use VS2012 to edit my LUA and XML files, and once the size of an XML file surpasses 10MB, it turns off all XML functionality in the editor and reverts to plain text, making the file very hard to work with. I was hoping I could just break that file up while still maintaining a single module. Yes, I'm sure there's a better XML editor out there to get around this issue, but the file was getting a little unwieldy in any case so I broke it up into three modules. This was the NPC Codex for PFRPG I recently finished, which contains a TON (is 10MB a digital ton? hmmm...) of statblocks.

I wasn't at all suggesting that FG had any issues with single large module. It did start taking a noticable amount of time to load it, but it worked fine once loaded.

Blog Entries
    Ah. In that case.

For Windows platform I'd recommend Notepad++. For OSX, TextMate. Both have no problems opening large XML files (even code folding still works).
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Thread Information