5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 51 of 54 First ... 414950515253 ... Last

Thread: PAR5E Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Though I don't think anyone has done so yet. I believe the popular consensus is that you can distribute this on the DMsGuild website, just not here.

So, if you want, you can upload it there and list it for free or PWYW (or charge for it) and then just link to the file from here. A few others have done that with PCs and other FG resources.
    Umm you can put stuff up there only when it's considered as SRD right?
    My Project : FG5EParser LINK

Current Projects : Revamped FG5eParser v2!

Quote Originally Posted by kp9911 View Post
    Well, no. The whole idea of the DMs Guild is that you can put stuff on there that uses WoTC IP as long as it's in the Forgotten Realms or Raveloft, or setting-agnostic. The only question about this would be it's not really 'using' WoTC IP, as much as repackaging it for resale. And I'm not sure that UA stuff is actually valid for use there either.

Just to be safe I sent an inquiry to their support before I do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by zhiel View Post
    Thanks! Is there a recommended formatting for doing your layout? I'd like to view it so I can use that moving forward. This isn't for distribution, it's just that some of my players want to use some of the Unearthed Arcana.
    I basically followed the YouTube tut exactly as far as structure, and it follows the official WoTC published structure exactly. You're pretty much on the right track, except for the tag usage that I pointed out.

On publishing the Unearthed Arcana Revised Ranger class FG module to DMs Guild:

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Though I don't think anyone has done so yet. I believe the popular consensus is that you can distribute this on the DMsGuild website, just not here.

So, if you want, you can upload it there and list it for free or PWYW (or charge for it) and then just link to the file from here. A few others have done that with PCs and other FG resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsemana View Post
    Well, no. The whole idea of the DMs Guild is that you can put stuff on there that uses WoTC IP as long as it's in the Forgotten Realms or Raveloft, or setting-agnostic. The only question about this would be it's not really 'using' WoTC IP, as much as repackaging it for resale. And I'm not sure that UA stuff is actually valid for use there either.

Just to be safe I sent an inquiry to their support before I do anything.

I got a quick response back from a Director of Publishing and Marketing at OneBookShelf and the verdict is... nope;

Hello Tony,

Ah, thanks for clearing that up a bit more.

No, at this time WotC is not allowing conversion of their material as
    that falls under the license granted to SmiteWorks.

Regards,

Matt
    Last edited by tsemana; December 5th, 2016 at 16:56.

I was wondering since I could basically put up my version of the player handbook in totality on DMS guide and make it Pay what you want :P. I think it was mentioned somewhere that you can reference only the SRD related information when putting things up on DMS Guild.

I was wondering since I could basically put up my version of the player handbook in totality on DMS guide and make it Pay what you want :P. I think it was mentioned somewhere that you can reference only the SRD related information when putting things up on DMS Guild.
    Hey kp9911, it's actually not the same thing. Again, you're allowed to use ANY WotC IP on DMs Guild Material; you can use the entire ruleset not limited to the SRD, Forgotten Realms and Raveloft settings only. The reason this usage is not allowable is because it's a straight conversion or WotC material and not an actual use of the IP, the same way that your handbook is also a conversion of WotC material, and also not allowable because of the violation mentioned in the email.

Here's the link to a good outline of the differences between SRD/OGL and DMsGuild publishing.

Specifically, these two points:

Under the DMs Guild program, you can publish D&D material that either

1.- has no setting or
    2.- uses the Forgotten Realms setting.

<snip>

When you publish material that has no setting, then the DMs Guild program allows you to use the entire D&D 5th edition rules, not just the subset found in the SRD. It also allows you to sell that material on the DMsGuild.com marketplace. (emphasis mine)
    and

In my DMs Guild title, can I use creatures like the beholder and mind flayer that the OGL lists as “product identity”?

Yes. Product identity exclusions apply only to publishing under the OGL.

Product identity has no meaning under the DMs Guild program.

So, although publishing anything that's a straight FG conversion is prohibited, it's because it violates WotC / SmiteWorks licensing agreement rather than IP and copyright violations.

Just want to ensure that my post isn't mis-interpreted by others wanting to post valid material using WotC IP to the DMsGuild.
    Last edited by tsemana; December 5th, 2016 at 17:27. Reason: Add some words make things clearer...

Also note that if you are ONLY using the SRD you would probably want to publish on one of the non-WotC OneBookShelf sites (DrivethruRPG or RPGNow) instead of the DM's Guild because you don't lose any rights that way. If you publish it to the DM's Guild you can from then on ONLY publish it to there, plus WotC gets a cut of the profits which could go to you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Also note that if you are ONLY using the SRD you would probably want to publish on one of the non-WotC OneBookShelf sites (DrivethruRPG or RPGNow) instead of the DM's Guild because you don't lose any rights that way. If you publish it to the DM's Guild you can from then on ONLY publish it to there, plus WotC gets a cut of the profits which could go to you.
    The main difference seems to be there is an agreement with Smiteworks and you can sell .mod files on the DMS Guild and I do not see that for the other OBS sites, at least not as easily. Certainly, if you use the Fantasy Grounds name, you should be working with Smiteworks if not in a directly approved venue - DMS Guild.

I have been making FG versions of the WoTC pregenerated characters. From my interactions, conversion on WoTC material falls under the license ageeement with Smiteworks. So no flavor text, for example, as that is a story element. However, the stats and abilities fall under normal DMS Guild rules. You need to use DMS Guild is you go beyond the SRD and use the full published rules and that is easy to do with characters. Because I did publish on DMS Guild, I could access the PHB details and use that material in my characters.

OBS has a document where they lay out the rules and Smiteworks also has a document on what they allow in DMS Guild. The short answer is that it is mainly meant for your own material and if you are looking to do conversions of WoTC or other 3PP, then it probably does not work because of other license agreements. If you have to ask, the default is to say no as OBS does not want to have to police and preapprove materials if at all possible.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

I assumed as much because logically it simply did not make sense to upload full conversions. Anyway as mentioned sharing the UA stuff is not allowed, got it.

From a personal stand point parsing all the files yourself is a giant pain in the *** but a very useful one, my version of the player handbook now has all the UA stuff and UA ranger as well, all in one spot

I'm glad though that we are allowed to this, provided we keep the RAW and the .mod files to ourselves.
    Last edited by kp9911; December 5th, 2016 at 18:44.

Totally agree. Being able to do it for personal use it awesome. I've had FG for a year but only now starting to get ramped up to run games and it's a great platform with PAR5E

Thread Information