STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Another suggested extension for the Core RPG: an Export function for the notes of a campaign. Ideally the output format would be customizable to support multiple formats.

Specifically, I would use this function to do this: in one of the campaigns I am playing with, I have been using FG Notes to keep logs of our sessions. I would like to export them to the Obsidian Portal of the campaign (as Adventure Logs) with the least amount of editing (ie. support the formats in Notes).

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by lachancery View Post
    Another suggested extension for the Core RPG: an Export function for the notes of a campaign. Ideally the output format would be customizable to support multiple formats.

Specifically, I would use this function to do this: in one of the campaigns I am playing with, I have been using FG Notes to keep logs of our sessions. I would like to export them to the Obsidian Portal of the campaign (as Adventure Logs) with the least amount of editing (ie. support the formats in Notes).
    I think this should be more like extension than part of the CoreRPG. Exporting notes is easy task and their output can be altered, but I don't know what format obsidian portal expects. Do you have specs about this?
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ikael View Post
    I think this should be more like extension than part of the CoreRPG. Exporting notes is easy task and their output can be altered, but I don't know what format obsidian portal expects. Do you have specs about this?
    @ Trenloe: Thanks for the interesting discussion thread. Wonder what will come out from it.

@ Ikael: OP has an end-user web-based editing tool to post stories, logs, etc. There are Wordpress-like tags to apply formating; I haven't been able to find a wiki page listing all the tags - only found references to "textile editing". Personally, I'd be happy to start with an exporter that parsed FG's formattedtext into a text file with Obsidian Portal's formatting, so I could copy/paste that into a new post on OP. There is an API (https://help.obsidianportal.com/kb/api/api-overview) for Obsidian Portal, but it strikes me as this would be a later, bigger project. (Which is what was being discussed in the thread Trenloe linked.)

First step - try the extension below.

Load this up. I've made it ruleset agnostic and should work in any FG 3 CoreRPG based ruleset (and perhaps others).

Then, in a campaign that has some notes, type /notesexport (/notes should work) and a window will pop up. Save you XML and then you have access to all of the campaign notes in an XML file. You can then extract the <text> section of each note and do with it as you wish.

I based this on an extension I wrote to export the calendar entries: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...057#post141057 Post #4 of that thread had some instructions for using a basic XSL file to convert the XML into another format (HTML to view in a web page in this case). Perhaps some XSL (or similar XML conversion) could be written to give you the format you're looking for.

For now, at least you can export your notes!
    Last edited by Trenloe; September 2nd, 2014 at 04:12.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information