DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last
    Is there a plan to incorporate such feature into future versions of FG or because extension covers it pretty well it is not a subject of consideration?

A past version of FG broke the original extension this was in, so I wouldn't say that extensions cover anything well enough. But the code for this is small enough it was able to be extracted from the broken extension. I'm not sure why this particular feature wasn't added long ago (well, not in the manner it is done here but the idea of player effect removal in general). Actually, I'm surprised it wasn't implemented when effects themselves were added.

I can't speak for Smite Works but from what I've seen since the original extension was made is that SW doesn't have the inclination or the time to add extension content to the main FG rulesets. Probably because of the large workload for the wiki (then) and Unity makeover (now).
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking it was more of a design decision than anything else. While I do find the extension very useful, it does take some of the control away from the GM... a thing which has a plus and minus side to it... overall.. I think the extension is more useful than not... I'd vote for incorporating it into the base engine.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

I have a set of effect-specific features and enhancements I want to add. The ability for a player to remove an effect that they applied is one of them. The challenge (as always) is prioritizing with regards to all the other things people want.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfoot View Post
    I'm thinking it was more of a design decision than anything else. While I do find the extension very useful, it does take some of the control away from the GM... a thing which has a plus and minus side to it... overall.. I think the extension is more useful than not... I'd vote for incorporating it into the base engine.
    I agree, which is why I originally implemented it with an option that had to be turned on by the GM. That way the functionality was there but the GM can decide on a case-by-case basis whether to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I have a set of effect-specific features and enhancements I want to add. The ability for a player to remove an effect that they applied is one of them. The challenge (as always) is prioritizing with regards to all the other things people want.
    Good to hear. I understand the prioritizing but I've always liked to think that the code that people have contributed in extensions has helped to make those features more likely to be added since the majority of the work is already done. The old Death at Negative Con extension comes to mind. It's now part of the PF ruleset and I bet you had to do little if any programming.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Suggestion: It would be helpful if this extension did case stripping on the strings (either upper or lower - doesn't matter). Currently, removal is case-sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by HoloGnome View Post
    Suggestion: It would be helpful if this extension did case stripping on the strings (either upper or lower - doesn't matter). Currently, removal is case-sensitive.
    This wouldn't be such a great idea as it's possible to apply 2 effects to a creature that are the same if converted all to lower case. i.e. In FG's check to see if an effect already exists when it is being added, FG uses case to determine if an effect already exists. So, for example, it's possible to add "bless; ATK:1" and "Bless; ATK:1" to the same target. If this extension was changed to convert to lower case then it wouldn't know exactly which effect to remove.

It's best left as it is - in use, it's a simple case of copying the effect application line and adding "REMOVE: " at the beginning to create the removal effect that exactly matches the correct effect to remove. I've added wording around this in post #1.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I understand, but disagree with the analysis. Relying on case to determine if effect text is unique for this kind of feature leads to various problems and is one that is easily fixed with an optional, appended/bracketed source tag as the effect enters the combat tracker. For example, the format could easily be [source] [effect text] without breaking any existing functionality ("[player name]Bless; ATK:1 morale), where the effect text is "Bless; ATK:1 morale" and the client pre-pends [player name]. All that is required is that the combat tracker receive or generate the source id (depending on how the message is generated).

This kind of improvement would be great for GM's so they could see at-a-glance who applied the effect. Similarly, it would instantly add the ability to own effects for removal. On REMOVE, the code could look for matching source tags and then case (and maybe space strip) effect text for the compare and find the owned match. This method would also prevent 2nd-order issues that can occur when players have effects (& REMOVE statements) that are targeted. Players sometimes have the wrong target selected for another player that has the same effect (same case) and they debuff the wrong target, since REMOVE can't/doesn't check for owner.

In the games I have played, we have REMOVE discussions/tutorials because of case and non-matching text issues, in part because players dynamically generate or edit effects and REMOVE ends up failing because of minor capitalization differences, or they have the wrong REMOVE text for some other reason. So, we have to ask the GM to do the remove. Also, Bless isn't a great example. It doesn't stack and also needs its effect type specifier (morale). In your example, if the combat tracker did case stripping, it could immediately detect the match and be able to tell the user that the effect was identical (and that it wouldn't stack because of an identical typed bonus that wasn't dodge, circumstance, etc.).

No need for further discussion - I will pass on my suggestion as an enhancement request. And, it may be moot anyway if the main client focus is migration. But, if it's possible to add a source tag for each effect, then the behavior of REMOVE could similarly improve and it should be a relatively easy fix.

If/when the base FG effect code is changed to be case insensitive I'll look into changing the remove effect code for this extension to be case insensitive as well. Until then the code should adhere to the same case sensitivity as the base FG effect code.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

V1.1 provided in post #1 - provides FG 3.1.0 compatibility, you must upgrade to this version to maintain full effect functionality.

Thread Information