Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Creatures on the map but not on the tracker

Coming from roll 20, this is something that is very helpful, and so far I have not figured out how to do it. I can drag a token in by itself but then its not connected to its monster and would have to be replaced with actual monsters when it wanted to fight.

I always pre-populated all the monsters on my entire map, and then just added them to the turn tracker as they got involved in combat. Is there no way to do this? Perhaps the monsters move around, or i want to stage them as the players are moving in reaction to noises the players make etc.
    Last edited by greyhoundgames; May 31st, 2014 at 16:23.

The way you do this in FG is by using Encounters, which you can find via a button at the top of the NPC window. You drag the NPC records and tokens into a new Encounter, then drag the tokens onto the map (from the Encounter). When you close the Encounter window, the tokens vanish from the map. But when you open it during play, and click on the arrow button, FG puts all the tokens onto the map at once, in the places you specified. They start off not visible to the players, so you can move them around if necessary - or just reveal them all!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...php/Encounters
    Last edited by Callum; May 31st, 2014 at 16:50.

That worked great. Thanks! P.S some of the guys come in on the turn tracker with 3.1 in a white bubble above their mini icon. What does that mean?

The number is how much the token has been scaled on the map. If you have a grid on the map, tokens will be automatically scaled to the right size. You can adjust the scaling by hovering over the token on the Combat Tracker and rolling your mouse wheel up or down.

P.S. You don't need to drag monsters from the Encounters window to the tracker. There's a little button at the bottom of the encounter window that puts everything into the tracker with one click. Also, to get everything working correctly, you should never drag tokens onto the map from anywhere except the combat tracker, that is what links everything together.

Summary:
    1. Encounter -> Combat Tracker
    2. Combat Tracker -> Map
    3. Profit!

And one other thing. You don't strictly need to use encounters i.e. it is ok to drag monsters directly from the NPCs window, or a library entry, into the tracker. The real important part, as I said above, is to always drag tokens to the map from the combat tracker, that is really crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenan View Post
    Summary:
    1. Encounter -> Combat Tracker
    2. Combat Tracker -> Map
    3. Profit!
    If you pre-placed the tokens onto the map while creating the encounter entry (drag each token from the encounter to the map - placed tokens show a check mark) then step 1 does 2 things: automatically puts the right number of creatures in the combat tracker (if you have auto initiative enable it will roll the init too) *and* will automatically put the tokens on the map in the locations where they were pre-placed during encounter creation.

See damned's video on "setting up encounters" here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r6UcaaLvD7YlJd It's for the Castles & Crusades ruleset, but the process is exactly the same in other rulesets.

More info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...php/Encounters
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

As darrenan mentioned, you don't need to use Encounters, they are just another tool for prep.

You can also associate token to tracker by:
    * Create tracker entry (drag and drop NPC link, or right click on tracker and select Create)
    * Drag token into tracker token field
    * Drag token from tracker entry to map

Or:
    * Create tracker entry
    * Drag token onto map
    * Drag token from map to tracker entry

This can also be done later to change a token on the fly. Drag new token to existing tracker entry, and it will replace on map.

Finally, you can drag the faction markers on bottom of tracker to map to add all tokens of a specific faction. (i.e. Party, Enemies)

Cheers,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    You might also have a situation where you have several encounters that might occur in close succession - say in an alley way or in a dungeon setting where the noise of the first encounter or other actions attracts the attention of the next encounter and brings them forward into the current encounter. This is another place where pre-prepped encounters really show their value.

You populate Encounter 1: Street Thugs and the negotiations break down and combat ensues. After 2 rounds...
    You populate Encounter 2: Street Urchins and the 2 kids tasked with keeping an eye on the Alley run for help. After 4 more rounds...
    You populate Encounter 3: Crossbows! 4 more thugs advance on the party from the shadows of the alley - crossbows pointed! If no resolution in 4 more rounds...
    You populate Encounter 4: City Guard and a patrol of 6 watchmen move into the mouth of the Alley behind our heroes...

Each time this happens you can just Click to Add to Combat Tracker each time. Everyone will appear (hidden) where they were initially supposed to but they will be all be prepped in Combat Tracker etc and their positions can be adjusted on the map before revealing. It really keeps the flow of the action happening at a nice pace.

Right, the only thing that seems to be a problem is the situation described in the last post. If you want them all to be active for your reference and possible position adjustment, it will be one cluttered turn tracker. And so you will be skipping turns a lot and trying to find the right active guys. A section in the tracker like a holding area where you can dump guys who are not to be included in the mainlist would help with this.

Thread Information