STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    As a follow-up, can someone please tell me the difference between the two Selection Modes on the GM's Images' Radial Menu & Submenu?
    "Token Target Mode" is the default mode - it allows you to single click on a token to select it and CTRL-Click on a token to target it.

"Token Select Mode" allows you to click-drag to select more than one token at a time. If you just click-drag it will select all of the tokens in the region (the equivalent of clicking each of those tokens individually in "Token Target Mode"). If you CTRL+click-drag it will target all of the tokens selected - handy for those area of effect spells.

The mode can also be changed by the "9 dots" button in the toolbar to the right of the eraser icon.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yes, the names are a bit misleading. "Token Target Mode" should really be called "Single Token Select Mode", while "Token Select Mode" should be called "Multiple Token Select Mode".

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    "Token Select Mode" allows you to click-drag to select more than one token at a time. If you just click-drag it will select all of the tokens in the region (the equivalent of clicking each of those tokens individually in "Token Target Mode"). If you CTRL+click-drag it will target all of the tokens selected - handy for those area of effect spells.
    What would be really great is if multiple token selection could be linked to pointer shape drawing - given that FG already highlights the map grid squares within a drawn rectangle, circle, or cone, it seems like this should be possible.

Hmm, OK, that makes sense - sort of. I still can't see much difference/use trying it out - maybe in a live game it'll make more sense.

OK, thanks guys.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    Hmm, OK, that makes sense - sort of. I still can't see much difference/use trying it out - maybe in a live game it'll make more sense.
    Put 12 skeletons tokens on your map - and one token for a cleric.

Single click to select the cleric token (Token target mode), then change to "Token Select Mode", hold down CTRL and draw a square around all of the skeletons - these will all be targeted by the cleric, all in one with no need to CTRL-click each one in turn. If the cleric was included in the multi-select just CTRL-click on the cleric token to un-target them. Now - apply turn undead or channel to harm undead!

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    The trouble with the suggestion of reverting to click-to-target is, as JPG pointed out, PCs will frequently target themselves. After all, players need to move their own tokens - arguably more often than they need to target foes. Additionally, with the new arrow targeting indicators (a necessary change from the circles, given the sensible switch from player->token to token->token targeting), it's hard to see if a token is targeting itself, so the self-targeting errors will go unnoticed more often.
    I agree that player's characters often target themselves, but I've haven't seen less targeting of themselves in the new targeting system so I don't see that makes a difference. However, I usually run D&D which is mostly melee combat. From my perspective, targeting arrows are clearer with single target range attacks than the old colored circles, about the same with ranged area attacks, but a bit worse than the circles with single target melee attacks and the worst with multi-target melee attacks.

What I'd like to see return is the ability to select targets from within the Combat Tracker, which the GM used to have. If this could be brought back and extended to players, it would give another visual indication of active targeting (particularly for self-targeting), and also make the GM's job easier.
    I've seen some GM's want this, but I've always found it slower to use combat tracker targeting. I'm not sure what I'm missing, maybe its because I run 4E and the tracker normally has so many on it you'd have to scroll it constantly to target? As a GM I almost never target, I just drop the attack roll on the token, top left portrait and occasionally combat tracker. The majority of the time when I use targeting is when an AoE hits most of the party and then I select all enemies and deselect the ones not in the AoE. I also use targeting for third party targeting of effects as well.

Not having any experience with the older versions, I found the system used in 3.x to be perfectly acceptable. New players won't have an issue because that's the only way they know. It's you grognards that are the problem! ;-)

The new system is ok. Might get some using to for old players, but that's ok.

Not knowing in CT who is targeted is on the other hand a huge problem.

I have only gamed once under the new targeting system, but my players and I were highly confused by the absence of the circles. We had to keep stopping and asking, "okay, which enemy are you targeting?" Is there someway to at least bring back the highlighted circles AFTER the player(s) have targeted a foe? That visual cue sure seemed to make combat much more fluid and successful? Then again, myself and my whole group are over 40 years of age and may just be proving it with our confusion!

Wasn't part of the targeting circle stoppage associated with multiple characters/player? That is, with the old method, you couldn't tell which character was targeting if a player had more than one character?

Thread Information