5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Some Targeting Questions - CoreRPG

Hi Guys,

My brain is currently fried from lack of sleep, so I'm probably missing something really obvious, but...

The Targeting System in the CoreRPG no longer puts up a Targeting Circle in the Character's Colour on Token on an Image any longer - is that right?

Also, is the only way to Target a Token via the Targeting Mode on an Image now - you can't Click on it like before?

Also, what's the difference between the targeting Button and the Selection Mode Button?

And, what's the difference between the two Selection Modes on the GM's Images' Radial Menu & Submenu?

Thanks for answering a such a stupid couple of questions.
    Last edited by dulux-oz; March 5th, 2014 at 11:14.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Thanks Callum - told you I was brain-fried
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

I think you need to watch some tutorial videos!

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I think you need to watch some tutorial videos!

What the HELL do you think I'm asking for!
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Speaking of this topic, one of the most challenging aspects of the new targeting system is the interface.

Technically, the old targeting system only supported PC identity->token targeting. In fact, the PC did not even have to have a token on the map. However, the GM could not set, modify or remove PC targeting. With some of the updates in v2.8.x and v2.9.x, we hacked together a way for GMs to specify targets non-visually. Also, players would accidentally self-target all the time, because single left click was overloaded to target and move.

So, the CTRL-click option is better by being separate, but not obvious to use. Also, it allowed me to add token "selection" which allows group movement (and eventually group rotation). To help compensate, I added the selection and targeting modes for image controls, along with toolbar buttons to trigger.

I'm open to suggestions on how to improve this particular interface. I just haven't come up with anything else that isn't just as problematic.

Regards,
    JPG

Here's my 2 cents on the targeting. I think the click and Ctrl-click targeting actions should be reversed. The most common targeting option is of the current character whose initiative it is needs to target something and in that case, clicking the character's target(s) to select or deselect is the most intuitive action. Since it is that character's turn the default action should assume the character or NPC who's turn it is on the tracker is the character that is doing the targeting. When some character goes when it's not his initiative, ie on an opportunity attack, then Cntrl-click to set the character doing the targeting and click to set his targets.

From watching my players, they really want to click their targets to select/deselect and attack when its their turn. They want the colored targeting circles back to indicate selection over the white arrows as well. I think the current targeting is a two steps forward and one step back for the players and a step forward for GMs. However, eventually you are going to want your PC linked tokens to be part of a character object that knows which character they represent whether placed on the map or combat tracker.
    Last edited by Griogre; March 6th, 2014 at 01:54.

Let me second Griogre's comments - I too think it would be best to CTRL-Click to Select and Click to Target; its a more "natural", "intuitive" action. I also think the coloured targeting circles were one of the best features of the targeting system - while I do like the arrows as well. Could you colour the arrows maybe? Or best of both worlds, have the coloured arrows AND the coloured targeting circles.

Just my $0.02 worth as well.

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

The trouble with the suggestion of reverting to click-to-target is, as JPG pointed out, PCs will frequently target themselves. After all, players need to move their own tokens - arguably more often than they need to target foes. Additionally, with the new arrow targeting indicators (a necessary change from the circles, given the sensible switch from player->token to token->token targeting), it's hard to see if a token is targeting itself, so the self-targeting errors will go unnoticed more often.

What I'd like to see return is the ability to select targets from within the Combat Tracker, which the GM used to have. If this could be brought back and extended to players, it would give another visual indication of active targeting (particularly for self-targeting), and also make the GM's job easier.

As a follow-up, can someone please tell me the difference between the two Selection Modes on the GM's Images' Radial Menu & Submenu?

Thanks
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10