FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 19 First 123412 ... Last

Thread: Fate Core?

"SOF and DF seem to be buggy" ... In what way?
    The Spirit of the Century extension is based on the (really) old Foundation project started by Smiteworks before it changed hands. It is character sheet only and very basic in functionality.
    The Dresden Files ruleset is based on a community Base ruleset project. It's got Character Sheet, NPC Sheet and Combat Tracker. I've used it for several games myself. I don't consider this one buggy and would appreciate a list of any issues you've found.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

DF seems to hate my tokens. When I place them on a map, I get a weird error. I was using effects in the combat tracker to place aspects on NPCs and PCs and my players could only see the first one placed. All my GM rolls are hidden from the players. When my players would close certain maps, I'd get an error message. When a PC makes an input on his PC sheet (or I make on on his, like checking a stress box) we have to close and open for the other person to see the effect.

Maybe this is a result of the latest FG updates? Maybe it's purely operator error or something on my side.

I'm not complaining though! It works well enough to use FATE so I'm happy. Just stating that if something a little more robust came out, that would be great too.

GM rolls default to hidden in all rulesets. Use /die reveal to set the option to show all GM rolls. In a newer ruleset, I'll be using the options menu.
    I also use effects to put aspects on to players in the combat tracker. The players see the effects as a comma delimited list under their name. This is standard effects functionality not something I've touched.
    I could do with some examples on the image/token errors. I've not seen any of those, but I don't tend to heavily use maps. Sounds a bit strange though. Are the tokens off the combat tracker, or from the token box? Interference from the new targeting functionality maybe?

I think the character sheet update issue is a common problem in all rulesets. You have to shift tabs or close/open the character sheet to see updates that the GM puts on to the sheet. I've seen update collisions on some objects, where both player and GM update the same thing in a short space of time, though I don't think it was with this ruleset.

Good to know about the hidden rolls, that was a bit of a pain. Thanks! The tokens are drawn from the combat tracker. It's not a big deal, I just let the debug screen run quietly in the background. Shifting tabs is much better than close/open, thanks for that tip too.

In case it's of interest, I did a FATE Accelerated character sheet for CoreRPG. It was posted in the Armory: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-%28FateRPG%29

Probably could work for FATE Core without too much difficulty. I track Fate points using an abstract image with tokens as fate points, for the record.

Blog Entries
    I too would love a Fate Core ruleset with extensions to customize the different iterations of the rules. I want to run The Demolished Ones. I managed to prepare most of it using images, templates and tokens with the CoreRPG and I think it's going to work fine since Fate is rules lite. But yeah, the whole idea of running things on FG over other VTTs is the automation. Von Stalhein's ruleset is great but it's FATE Accelerated, I needed the Fate Core. Playtesting FATE to new FATE players for the first time I wanted something that wouldn't confuse them. Dresden Files works great also but my main pet peeve about is that there are no fudge dice and the d6 is used to emulate them. I'm also unsure how it would respond to the FG 3.0.2 upgrade. Coming from Savage Worlds where that upgrade initially created many bugs I opted not to take a chance. I know it's anal retentive on my part so take it for what it's worth.Attachment 6064
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

The Dresden Files ruleset works with the 3.0.2 update, as it has on the previous v3 ones. The native Fudge dice aren't there though as I've not merged it yet with CoreRPG. Though that may just be a case of changing the model used in the dF custom die definition.

@Valarian: That's what I did. It works with the FG3 Core FATE die.
    @Mask: I'd give the Dresden Files a few more whirls before giving up on it. With the FATE/FUDGE die added as in the native FG3 Core (it involves getting rid of all the die setup code and calling up the dF in the startup code). Myself, I'm working on a generic set that that allows more collaboration (building settings, etc.) and having "index cards" available for use. However it's a long way from being finished and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. BTW who said FATE was Rules Lite? Sure the mechanics are simple, but knowing when and where to use them is another matter; not to mention the fact that it's more of a collaborative effort to get the game setting and characters up and running. I usually refer to this type of game (specifically FATE Core and Toolkit) as rules distributed.

Cheers,
    SF
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S Ferguson View Post
    @Valarian: That's what I did. It works with the FG3 Core FATE die.
    @Mask: I'd give the Dresden Files a few more whirls before giving up on it. With the FATE/FUDGE die added as in the native FG3 Core (it involves getting rid of all the die setup code and calling up the dF in the startup code). Myself, I'm working on a generic set that that allows more collaboration (building settings, etc.) and having "index cards" available for use. However it's a long way from being finished and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. BTW who said FATE was Rules Lite? Sure the mechanics are simple, but knowing when and where to use them is another matter; not to mention the fact that it's more of a collaborative effort to get the game setting and characters up and running. I usually refer to this type of game (specifically FATE Core and Toolkit) as rules distributed.

Cheers,
    SF
    All I meant by rules lite is you don't need a lot of complicated things on the character sheet to run it. Proof is I set it up on the core ruleset. Image of Health tracker, skills, aspects and stunts can be added as needed on the sheet. Keep in mind I'm running the Demolished Ones. Only the basic elements that define FATE as it's core (at least in my opinion) are used in this mini-set/ adventure. That's why I chose it. Never played Fate but have read several books. Dresden Files, Spirit of the Century and Legend of Anglerre (to name a few) are a different beast. I'll give you that
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Two of the next three game ideas I've put forward to my group for Sunday nights are Fate Core. The selected game will start around Easter. Either a Stargate team or a game in a world of zombies.

Thread Information