DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 19 of 20 First ... 917181920 Last
    I admit, it has been a while since I've used the language feature of FG, but am I correct in that the built-in functionality is completely missing this part?:
    v3.1: Added - random character scrambling to avoid copy/paste "cheat".
    Seems odd to take a step backwards when the code already existed.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

You are incorrect; the built-in functionality *does* include this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    I admit, it has been a while since I've used the language feature of FG, but am I correct in that the built-in functionality is completely missing this part?
    What might be confusing you is that it is only scrambled on the player side, not the GM.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Yes, it scrambles automatically now.

I personally liked the non-scrambled version because I believe it aids roleplay if players that don't know a language start seeing the same letters when they are repeated over and over. Guessing, correctly or incorrectly, the meaning of a word in a language you don't know provides some great opportunities for roleplaying. The scrambling was put in to avoid cheating the translation by players, but I rarely play with players that would do that since it would only serve to erode their own fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    I personally liked the non-scrambled version because I believe it aids roleplay if players that don't know a language start seeing the same letters when they are repeated over and over. Guessing, correctly or incorrectly, the meaning of a word in a language you don't know provides some great opportunities for roleplaying. The scrambling was put in to avoid cheating the translation by players, but I rarely play with players that would do that since it would only serve to erode their own fun.
    I specifically designed the scrambling so that the same word in a specific language would appear exactly the same each time.

Random scrambling is seeded from each word and the language name so each word should be represented the same each time it is used for a specific language - but it is still gibberish.

So, you do get the ability for players "learning" commonly used words.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I specifically designed the scrambling so that the same word in a specific language would appear exactly the same each time.

Random scrambling is seeded from each word and the language name so each word should be represented the same each time it is used for a specific language - but it is still gibberish.

So, you do get the ability for players "learning" commonly used words.
    Ahhh, very nice. I should have guessed that you thought of that.

Trenloe, you are just the man! All there is to it (despite accusations that you are an AI on the order of Joshua in War Games)

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    What might be confusing you is that it is only scrambled on the player side, not the GM.
    This is good to know. Yes, I was viewing the GM side of things.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    Trenloe, you are just the man! All there is to it (despite accusations that you are an AI on the order of Joshua in War Games)
    The only difference is that Trenloe can play against himself in Tic-tac-toe and still manage to win.

I am trying to setup a "chatframe" in a "story"-tab for some inscription on a magic item, so what i have done is: "/lang dwarvish Hello". But when i press the chat bouble to send the text into the chat window, the output is still the standard english font. Is this somewhat possible to do in another way? I'm thinkin it could be a nice way to prepare your stories with cool inscriptions on items and doors as eg.

Thread Information