5E Character Create Playlist
Page 18 of 21 First ... 81617181920 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    draw a little map.

internet -- router --- ???? --- ???? --- PC

that will help us... it needs to be accurate. most likely you have two (or more) devices doing nat and you will need to port forward one to the next and then from that one to the PC... can be done - just a little more thought required.

hamachi may well be the easiest solution...

So for future Apple Time Capsule folks... here is my solution...
    Internet>Comcast modem > Time Capsule ->path 1 Wireless ->1 Windows 10 Laptop
    Internet>Comcast modem > Time Capsule -> path 2 Ethernet ->1 Windows 10 PC
    #1 on the laptop setup designated IP, using the 'Apple' variant of IP addressing 10.0.0.x not 192.168.x.x
    #2 use the Airport Utility to set Port Mapping, ignore the external router (Comcast) address, and watch for the subnet mask which is not set in the traditional 255.255.255.0!
    #3 Use the 10.0.1.x DNS entries, not the ones on the airport utility.
    #4 any problems - reach out to this site! Both LordEntrails, and Damned replied with MINUTES of my request.
    I thank you both gentlemen! I did not expect such a quick and timely response, and so in typical forum fashion was waiting until the next day to check to see if the post was even read... shame on me!
    After walking away last night, and giving it time to gel in my head, and tackling it with a new set of eyes, the level of frustration gone, I can once again be assured that I wont lose my bedroom privileges!

I'm also a Comcast customer, and they use Shared IP addresses, at least here, and that prevents me from hosting under normal circumstances. I've gotten around this by using a VPN service. I tried several, and PureVPN is working for me now, though I had to sign up for a dedicated IP address from them. This is allowing me to host games.

This has been a horrible night. I've been up all night working on this crap. Decided to upgrade to Ultimate so everyone in my group can connect for free. I'm also with comcast. Decided to try everything out with my desktop and laptop. After the learning curve there it appears comcast won't let me open the port 1802 for my desktop. Not much i can do. Scoured the internet for solutions to no avail. Started reading here and bought into the PureVPN concept. My upgrade to ultimate also included my buying the entire Adventure Path for PFRPG Strange Aeons. So I was out $150 there and the PureVPN with dedicated IP was another $145. I'm running the VPN as we speak, but really, my laptop computer can't see it. And yes, I finally took my laptop to the building's free wifi to get it off the same modem. The test on my desktop always says FAILURE. I'm thinking, who built this useless software that can't connect to anything. I guess I need verification that no one can see my hosting computer, because at the moment, this really sucks. This is the worst experience I have had in a loooooooong time with software.

Hosted on 199.38.233.186 using Ultimate

Curious if anyone can see it.
    Last edited by Zuxius; January 31st, 2018 at 20:41.

Blog Entries
    Ok so on this one there was no issue with the Comcast connection - it works fine.

If you are at home, on a private network and you know all the devices on your network set your network profile to private. Setting it to public will block all inbound connections without extra configuration.

Then set the port forwarding to the correct computer/lan address and you should be fine.

Recommended the OP try for a refund on the PureVPN.

Good Afternoon,
    I think I need some help here. Friday night, I was unable to host a game on my wired internet connection. I switched my desktop to my wireless connection, and got it to work after resetting my router. I went back in last night to help a new player create a character and it would not let him connect. ( I did not try to reset the router last night now that i think about it) I downloaded Hamachi and had him do the same as well (using the IP address given by Hamachi), and it finally let him into my hosted game. When we went to make his character, we noticed that the Player's Handbook will not load for him. We tried the solutions that I found on the forums, but the Player's Handbook is still not visible to him.

I had opened port 1802 a few months ago on my router and thought that the issue had been resolved, I assumed wrong. I am on Comcast Xfinity, and I know they can be complicated to work with. Please help, I am not super techy here.

Thanks in advance.
    Twitch profile - https://www.twitch.tv/dedlivin
    Discord - Sinster(UTC -5)#8445
    Steam - Sinster_DJ
    Battle.net - Sinster#1874

This sounds like the port forwarding rule on your router is not pointing to the IP address of your GM wired network connection. Port forwarding will only work for a single network connection on one computer (wired and wireless are 2 different connections).

I’d recommend you decide what computer and what network connection you want to use for GMing FG and then setup that connection as a static IP address (doesn’t change) and use that IP address in the port forwarding rule on the router.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ok, I will try to set it up for the wired connection. What threw me off was that the wireless connection worked on Friday, but not yesterday. So do I have to remove port forwarding for the wireless connection? Or does it overwrite and make the wired connection the valid one?
    Twitch profile - https://www.twitch.tv/dedlivin
    Discord - Sinster(UTC -5)#8445
    Steam - Sinster_DJ
    Battle.net - Sinster#1874

Thread Information