5E Character Create Playlist
Page 16 of 21 First ... 61415161718 ... Last
    Hi everyone...sorry to be a bother and not sure if this is where to post this but I have tried everything I know to be able to allow my family to connect over our LAN to play FG. Even called our internet provider to see if our integrated router/modem could be configured to to accomplish the task. I have Malwarebytes and think that might be the culprit. Otherwise I have adjusted the windows firewall and even at one point just shut all the protection off but to no avail. Any help you can offer to this beleaguered gamer would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by pappinr; July 24th, 2017 at 05:50.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pappinr View Post
    Hi everyone...sorry to be a bother and not sure if this is where to post ...
    Thank you in advance!
    Hey pappinr, welcome to the community. Sorry your first post has to be with a problem.

Your router probably doesn't need anything changed to allow local/LAN players to connect. First thing to do is to make sure you are giving your family the correct IP address. They should be using your internal IP (usually something like 192.168.0.x) You'll probably want to make sure all your other settings are returned to normal when they try.

The second thing that might be causing this is the anti-virus or firewall setting on your GM computer. Make sure FG is whitelisted by MalwareBytes and that your network connection is set to private (i.e. home or work, not public).

If one of those things don't work, let us know.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hi LordEntrails and thanks for the reply. I am happy to tell you that everything has been worked out and I can now host and my family can now join games here on our home network. It turned out to be a simple matter of port forwarding settings which I fixed with the help of our ISP. Now on to gaming! And on a positive note (because as you so wisely pointed out I really didn't want my first post here to be negative) this new to me on line platform is simply mind blowing! I see so many great possibilities for entertainment and fun for our whole family. It is a bit of a learning curve, but so far so good.

Cheers and thanks again for your help!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pappinr View Post
    Hi LordEntrails and thanks for the reply. I am happy to tell you that everything has been worked out and I can now host and my family can now join games here on our home network. It turned out to be a simple matter of port forwarding settings which I fixed with the help of our ISP. Now on to gaming! And on a positive note (because as you so wisely pointed out I really didn't want my first post here to be negative) this new to me on line platform is simply mind blowing! I see so many great possibilities for entertainment and fun for our whole family. It is a bit of a learning curve, but so far so good.

Cheers and thanks again for your help!
    You are welcome
    Glad you got things working and have fun!

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Funny story - so we are using FG for 2+ years without problems (me hosting) and suddenly it wont work anymore. After some hours of googling and reading, it turns out that my (recently upgraded) connection now runs on ipv6 (only ipv4 via DS lite)...so, we couldnt get it to work anymore.
    Now, using Hamachi does seem to work (we tried with 2 players, not with the full 8 yet...also, only briefly, not for some hours) but...is ipv6 support planned for FG at all? Most people I know are very hesitant to install this kind of software and if you got 8 people to convince its a bit of a pain. Also, we have players that are already a bit challenged with FG + Discord setup...now you tell them they need a third program

IPv6 support is planned for the rewrite of FGU (currently referred to as FGU).

Cheers,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Since I think you have to pay to have Hamachi with 8 clients, you might want to look into PureVPN or renting your own server and installing a VPN service on it. Might be cheaper or the same price and doesn't require players to install anything or do anything special.

Blog Entries
    There is a simple work around for having more than 4 players on the free Hamachi and it is in the instructions (IIRC). Basically you create two networks and connect four players up to each. You are in both networks.
    Also try explaining to your provider that you have a need for IPv4 Port Forwarding - many people that have been switched but went back to their ISP nd explained the need have been switched back...

If you have a technically adept member in your gaming circle, you can also ask if they can host a VPN virtual machine on their side that everyone can connect into. I set up an Ubuntu virtual machine running openVPN had the circle connect into me and then they were able to go directly to the GM's IP address. The most complex part was generating the individual VPN keys for each player and sending them through with instructions.

Hamachi is great, but can get reaaaaly slow. Better than no game though!

Hey. I've been using Hamachi to allow my players to connect to my campaigns for a few months now (university wifi made it impossible to connect otherwise), and it had been going great, but starting a week ago it stopped working. Me and my players all connect to the same Hamachi server, they put in my ip (the one provided by Hamachi. 25.x.x.x) just as we have always done in the past, but they are no longer able to connect.

Quick Addition: One of my players has been trying to figure things out on his end, and tried diagnosing my name (no clue what that means to be honest), and this is what he got.

Tunnel:
    VPN domain's tap device is down
    Local results:
    Adapter configuration: OK
    Traffic test: Timeout
    Peer results:
    Adapter configuration: OK
    Traffic test: Timeout

What does this mean? Any solutions?

Thread Information