DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Thread: GUMSHOE Ruleset

GUMSHOE Ruleset

Starting a new game of Night's Black Agents in the New Year and have created the character sheet for it. Still got to do the NPC sheet and combat tracker customisations, but it's a start.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Looking nice, Valarian! I'd be curious to hear how it works out and how the ruleset grows as you put it to use.

Also a work in progress, this is the one I'm using with my group for Trail of Cthulhu, another GUMSHOE game:
    Attachment 5629

Also very nice. With library modules too - not got around to those yet. Notice you went for the max/current pool values rather than the "ammo counter" approach I've used here. Any particular reason for that?

I considered using bubbles for the pool points, but I decided not to mostly because a) I thought it might be difficult to code and I didn't know if I'd be able to do it. This was my first attempt at a custom ruleset and I haven't got a lot of experience with coding for FG, so thought I'd best keep it simple. And b) I also thought I'd have a hard time fitting all of the skills on my main tab if I used bubbles, especially given that I've seen some pregens for published material that have ratings upwards of 20 pts in some skills. I wanted to squeeze all of the commonly-used things, including skills, into the main tab to minimize need to flip around while in play. My thinking there was that, unlike D&D or PF where you might make only a few skill checks per game (if that), GUMSHOE makes extensive, constant use of skills.

But it looks like you were able to quite handily code the skills with bubbles, and keep it quite compact, too. I like the fact that you have the number of bubbles which appear change based on the skill rating. Was that difficult to achieve? I also see it looks like you opted to only list skills in which the character has points - an idea which frankly never occurred to me. I can see merits to that approach.

The library module I have isn't much of one - it's just the little one-page cheat sheet available from Pelgrane's site. With the easy and cheap availability of PDFs from the publisher, it feels like extensive library modules may not be worth the effort it takes to create them (unless for something like a monster manual where having that data inside FG has some usefulness).

The skill pool counters are based on the maximum value, part of the ammo counter functionality from 3.5e if you want to use a template.

For example (attached): The Athletics skill has a maximum of 8 of which 0 is currently spent.

There's a hidden field in the database that keeps track of the current values. I'm not much more than a tinkerer with these. I can't draw so artwork is derivative or default, and I have enough knowledge of rulesets to make changes and copy functionality but not to create from scratch. I like the modular approaches in the Foundation Core, and (soon to be) CoreRPG base sets.

For library modules, I'll be looking to do things from the player perspective, with drag & drop skills. Currently, on the Network Contacts and the Cover Identities, there are links that can be used to drag Notes or NPC sheets (when those are done) to a character sheet.
    Last edited by Valarian; December 8th, 2013 at 23:59.

Blog Entries
    Any progress? I'm reading The Esoterrorists right now and it would be great to have a ruleset for it. I know Ikael made a Unisystem ruleset but called it UniCore. Any chance a similar approach could be taken with your Gumshoe to make it available for distribution?
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Quote Originally Posted by Mask_of_winter View Post
    Any progress? I'm reading The Esoterrorists right now and it would be great to have a ruleset for it. I know Ikael made a Unisystem ruleset but called it UniCore. Any chance a similar approach could be taken with your Gumshoe to make it available for distribution?
    There is no need to change the name or hide the fact that any work on a GUMSHOE based ruleset is being done as a while back Pelgrane Press released GUMSHOE under an OGL and a creative commons license: https://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=13319
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The ruleset is in my rulesets folder (see the signature). Still just the character sheet only but we've been playing NBA for a few sessions with it. No problems on the player side. Errors on NPC creation that I haven't sorted yet.

Blog Entries
    Thanks bunches!
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Thread Information