DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Cthulhu 7th Edition

Hello Cthulhu people

I was just wondering if anyone had tested the 7th edition quick start rules yet and what their thoughts were on the changes? From a first look, I am not sure about the changes to combat, but the skill difficulties seem a good idea
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

I've reviewed the quick start guide a bit, but I feel that it is just a slight glimpse at the changes coming in 7th Edition. If you take a look at the interview here, then you'll see a lot more about what they have planned for 7th Edition.

I'm sad that I missed the Kickstarter for this edition, but reviewing the update news on the Kickstarter page shows that they are currently supplementing the artwork while working on Phase I of the book. There is also talk of deck involvement in game play now, which makes me want to talk to the author of the Savage Worlds deck extension to see if it can be adapted to CoC7.

They were going to release around Halloween this year, but the Kickstarter raised so much money that they decided to go to a full color layout and nicer book, which has pushed it back til early next year, last I heard. I have glanced over the quickstart rules but figured I'd wait until a little closer to the actual release to start seriously looking at the new edition.

I could be totally misinformed about this - and please correct me if that's the case - but the only talk of decks I have seen has been related to something that I think was a stretch goal, some decks of things like insanities. So, if, for example, your character is to go temporarily insane, instead of choosing how to RP that, you pull a card from this deck of various phobias and things. This wouldn't be a change to the mechanics of the game or anything, just an optional little extra accessory players could use at the table, or not.

As cscase says, I believe the decks were just an in game extra accessory (cool stretch goal) that are essentially detailing/summarising data that would be on tables in the book.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hey folks,

The 7th Edition has gone out in a Backer Proof to all the Kickstarter backers. While it doesn't have all the art or an index yet, it's got all the new mechanics and how they work. Any chance the ruleset could get a 7th Ed update?

As an edit, here's a link to the new character sheet: https://www.chaosium.com/call-of-cth...aracter-sheet/
    Last edited by leetsepeak; August 10th, 2014 at 23:29.

It's on our list to look at after Gencon and 5E release settles down.

Regards,
    JPG

Now realeased and availablr for purchase on the Chaosium web site... Just saying...

I was thinking of buying the Call of Cthulhu ruleset during the Steam sale, but the description says it's 6th edition? Is this still worth buying? I'm not familiar with 6th edition... Is the ruleset itself going to ever be updated to 7th edition, or would it be a totally new ruleset product available for separate purchase if you ever make a FG rulset for 7th edition?

Blog Entries
    7e will be a new purchase.
    It will likely be priced the same as the PDF - eg approx $28.
    6e is still a good purchase IMO. It comes with 4 adventures which will be usable in 7e.
    It is also still a good system in its own right.
    The 7e ruleset should be a more polished product all round though.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    7e will be a new purchase.
    It will likely be priced the same as the PDF - eg approx $28.
    6e is still a good purchase IMO. It comes with 4 adventures which will be usable in 7e.
    It is also still a good system in its own right.
    The 7e ruleset should be a more polished product all round though.
    Out of curiosity, where does Call of Cthulhu's 6e ruleset fall on the spectrum of "automation" in terms of character creation? 5e being very automated with drag & drop classes & features, etc that populate the character sheet with the vast majority of relevant stuff, and Pathfinder (the only other ruleset I've used unfortunately) being fairly manual in comparison, where classes can't be dragged & dropped, and most things have to added up and tabulated manually. And then a tangent off from that question is, where is the future 7e ruleset being planned to fall within that spectrum? At $28, the most expensive ruleset, I would hope it takes a page from 5e's automation / drag-drop processes. But I'm not sure if it would, just because so much love was put into the 5e ruleset probably because it's expected to be the most popular ruleset, I think? Anyway, the ease of use of 5e vs Pathfinder in Fantasy Grounds makes me want to acquire rulesets that are closer to 5e than Pathfinder if at all possible.

Thread Information