Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... Last

New project: Ruleset wizard

Hi All,

I want to share with you a proyect I've been working on since the release of the alpha version of FGIII.

this is a sneak peek of Ruleset Wizard, an integrated development environment for FG rulesets:

but for now it's only a rough prototype...

Duuuuuude! Smiteworks should hire you! In all seriousness, this looks like an awesome toolkit and one the community has desperately needed for a while, now. Kudos! I would offer to help, but I have absolutely zero useful skills for this. If, however, you need alpha or beta testers at any point, count me in.

Cheers!GMK

Looks pretty awesome - indeed, this has been sorely needed for some time!
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Thumbs Up!!
    GM for Rusta utilizing FG2 Ultimate.

Looks very promising - keep up the work, hope it all comes together and creates good, usable code that integrates/layers on top of the 3.0 architecture. :-)
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by psicodelix View Post
    Hi All,

I want to share with you a proyect I've been working on since the release of the alpha version of FGIII.

this is a sneak peek of Ruleset Wizard, an integrated development environment for FG rulesets:

but for now it's only a rough prototype...
    Hi!

You are doing what I expected would be done for 3.0 but wasn't. A ruleset wizard that does not depend on the users knowledge of lua or xml.

I say this seriously, if you put up a way to to donate for your work on this do, so. I will put up 100 dollars immediately to it.

That's how important I think your work is.

Kudos sir, kudos!

Primarch

Quote Originally Posted by primarch View Post
    A ruleset wizard that does not depend on the users knowledge of lua or xml.
    I think this looks very promising... But - I would say that it will help with doing away with a lot of the XML coding in FG around GUI design and placement of windows and controls. But, I honestly don't see how anything like this is going to do away with the need to know LUA and understand the implications of what you're doing in LUA. Have a look at the video from 3:15 - you still have to code in LUA!

I may be wrong, psicodelix may come up with an amazing way of doing FG LUA code generation within this "Ruleset Wizard". What I'm seeing here is a typical IDE (integrated development environment) where the GUI can be built quickly and easily, but the underlying code (in FGs case LUA) still have to be coded - there's no magic code generation... Nothing wrong with that at all - it's a tried and tested method of application development throughout the software industry.

psicodelix - please don't think I'm being negative about what you're doing here, it looks very promising and will certainly be a huge asset to the FG community. What I'm trying to do is manage people's expectations of what is possible with something like this... Perhaps you have some amazing ideas on how to do LUA coding in the wizard?

Even without LUA coding - being able to create the FG XML for GUI components with this wizard will be a major benefit to people creating new rulesets - building a character sheet on top of the CoreRPG framework in 3.0 will be so much quicker and easier allowing people to make great strides towards having a basic "FG core features with custom character sheet" that would allow people to setup FG to play most RPGs (without automation) quickly and with lots of the base FG functionality.

I'll look forward to see how this develops. :-)
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for the feedback.

Trenloe is right, the wizard can't overcome the need of lua script. The purpose of the project is to benefit from the layering capabilities of the core ruleset in version 3 to allow anyone create a customized charsheet, even a combat tracker or another custom windows, eliminating the nasty xml GUI design.

To add automation, you'll need LUA code anyway, but the integrated code editor can help you keeping the code bound to the items, showing the default events of each control with its default parameters, and it could include some common tasks or code snippets.

Blog Entries
    To give you a word of encouragement: I am very interested for this. I already want to customize the GUI for two settings of mine, so this would really come in handy.

Bravo! If this one comes through you will be an offical FG Hero.

I think that this might be one of the more beneficial projects possible for the good of FG itself. Making it easier to create a custom ruleset or look can only be a good thing for everyone.

- Obe
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Thread Information