Starfinder Playlist
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last

Thread: 13th Age

Quote Originally Posted by lokiare1 View Post
    I see. I must have been thinking about the D20 license. So basically all we have to do is wait for Smiteworks to contact Pelgrane Press and see what happens there, right?
    d20 is covered by the open gaming license - in fact, the OGL was created by WotC for d20: https://www.d20srd.org/ogl.htm So, everything I quoted above is correct - I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick thinking that "it precludes selling software based on it in any shape or form" - the OGL most certainly does not.

13th Age is published under this same OGL: https://www.13thagesrd.com/legal and includes an SRD (System Reference Document) of what you can include in your own products (as long as you include the OGL statement in your product and don't use materials called out as product identity). 13th Age SRD here: https://www.13thagesrd.com/

However, if you want approval from the producers of 13th Age (Fire Opal Media) then this is different and is the stage you are at now - if you want to be able to use some 13th Age icons/graphics, story entries, etc. then you need approval from Fire Opal Media. You've asked them and they've pointed you to Smiteworks. If you want the ruleset to have their full backing it looks like you'll have talk with Smiteworks first.

This shouldn't stop you further developing your ruleset as long as it complies with the OGL under which 13th Age has been released: https://www.13thagesrd.com/legal
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    I shot a note over to our contact at Pelgrane Press Ltd. as well to get their thoughts on whether or not we can extend the license to cover 13th Age. So far we have not produced any rulesets for Pelgrane Press, although we've come close on Trail of Cthulhu and made some early headway on GUMSHOE before stalling out. Our track record isn't the greatest with them so far (from our end), so I'm a little hesitant to provide them with any guarantees that we will complete a full ruleset. It's a pretty big endeavor to do it fully and at a commercial level.

Blog Entries
    SmiteWorks won't get the license to carry this as an official ruleset until we show success at releasing one of the other rulesets we've already requested and received a license for from them.

Ok, so as long as I follow their OGL rules posted on their site we can release it as a 'free' rule set? I can live with that. I'll have to see what they consider product identity. If its the kind of stuff I think it is, we can just release it without a library component (sorry 13th age fans) and we'll be fine.

I'd rather go through the various companies involved and be able to use logos and whatnot, but I guess we can't have everything. Maybe after we release it and it fully works they'll change their minds.

Edit: As of right now it automates about 90% of 13th Age. A full list of what features we have so far:

Icons and Icon relationships (rolls included).

Level bonus to certain rolls and stats.

Recoveries are fully automated (you drag the die that your recovery uses to the recovery box and it rolls based on your level and con mod)

Defenses are calculated (AC, PD, MD).

Backgrounds (allowing you to swap the ability bonus when you roll)

The DM can set a Background check DC on the party tab and when players roll skill checks the chat log will tell them if they passed or failed. (in 13th age dice are always rolled in the open.)

Weapon damage is the weapon dice multiplied by the characters level (1 dice roll per level).

Escalation Die is automated (and auto added to player rolls).

Recharge powers roll for recharge when appropriate (and uncheck their used box if they recharge).

Critical hits work properly.

All of the conditions are implemented properly: Confused, Dazed, Fear, Hampered, Helpless, Stuck, Stunned, Vulnerable, Weakened.

Saves are implemented and the players can choose the DC type from a cycle box next to the saves.

Death saves are implemented, including the recovery usage if you roll high enough.

Resistance is implemented, including rolling when an attack roll isn't present. You can even 'fake' an attack roll and it will use that for resistance.

Temp HP stack properly.

Incremental Advance check boxes are provided to keep track of what a player has advanced.

Last gasp save check boxes below the death save check boxes.

Really this thing is ready for beta.
    Last edited by lokiare; July 18th, 2014 at 03:41.

Blog Entries
    Nice job lokiare1
    Have a look at the Trail of Cthulhu ruleset. This is in a similar position - its a great ruleset - looks awesome - but cannot include the library modules (but there is a few things happening in the background on that - fingers crossed).

Nice. Hopefully we can get something figured out.

By the way since I have your attention, is FG planning on going 3D at any point? A 3D map and block mapping software would be awesome. Something simple where you just drag and drop 3D 'blocks' next to each other to create maps. Then you can put 3d 'tiles' or 'blocks' packs in the store and maybe 3D character tokens.

Quote Originally Posted by lokiare1 View Post
    Ok, so as long as I follow their OGL rules posted on their site we can release it as a 'free' rule set? I can live with that. I'll have to see what they consider product identity. If its the kind of stuff I think it is, we can just release it without a library component (sorry 13th age fans) and we'll be fine.
    As I mentioned above, you can include anything that is in the SRD: https://www.13thagesrd.com/ Which basically contains most of the core rules so it means you can provide a pretty comprehensive library module with just the data from the SRD.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't mind beta testing this. I was going to start one, but a new job and a move to a new state interfered with that. So, now that I have some time, I'm debating 13th Age again or seeing if I can extend the Numenera to handle The Strange (mostly similar, just that a character can have multiple focus. It would be nice if, sort of like the mood lighting, a GM could trigger the interface to change to match what recursion you are in).
    Ultimate License Holder

Moved The Strange thread.

Moved to The Strange thread.
    Last edited by dberkompas; August 8th, 2014 at 22:39. Reason: Moving to more appropriate forums
    No signature needed, please leave parcel on the porch.

Thread Information