Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: Virtual servers

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6gaktt1mkswq5ql/Directx.PNG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wffc4zrf5929mgm/directx2.PNG

From what it looks like is that there are no real graphics drivers associated with the server to be able to push the directx to work? If that is how it works?

It does look to be running DX11, but not drivers or Direct3D acceleration.
    AbacusForge - Blog
    Think - Develop - Build

Player:Yes Times: Contact Me

DM:Yes/Also willing to DM groups (PM me) Time: Contact Me

Rulesets: 3.5, Cthulhu

RDPDD is the default remote desktop display driver that the VM uses, which (as you can see from your screenshots) doesn't have any DirectX capability. You *may* be able to get some DirectX functionality via RemoteFX:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...=ws.10%29.aspx

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=6006
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Running FG on a remote server is a fascinating concept. Did we ever find a way to make it work?

Quote Originally Posted by ProNobis View Post
    Running FG on a remote server is a fascinating concept. Did we ever find a way to make it work?
    You can make it work, the GM just needs some way of remotely access the desktop with DirectX enabled - VNC, maybe RDP, etc..
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So I'm setup to make it work through AWS (amazon web services) that has directx predone. I've setup up a security rule to Type = "Custom TCP Protocol" Protocol = "TCP" Port Range = "1802" Source = "0.0.0.0/0" (and a second one that has Source = "::/0")

That almost did it... then I just had to go into windows firewall and allow "1802" to be open. Connection now is a success. Took me about 2 hours to figure out. I highly recommend using ec2 instead of lightsail because 1) the first year is free (although with only 1 GB RAM so if you want sound effects or other things you will want to pay for more) and 2) once you do pay you only pay by the hour for high bandwidth. Running a computer powerful enough to handle FG (dual core with 4 GB RAM) only costs about $0.07 per hour with extraordinary speeds and the ability to work even behind heavy fire walls (such as a college or other places that block port forwarding). https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/on-demand/ It should be noted that you are also charged $.01 per gigabyte transferred... considering that FG runs on text with a few low quality images this ought to be less than a cent a game unless you do something really unusual (like high quality sound effects, with high quality images sent through a different service than FG).

Well, if people use the DOE:Sound and set it up so that either (a) everyone has Syrinscape installed or (b) one of the Client machines acts as the "Sound Master" and pumps the sound out to everyone else, then the AWS server will only be transmitting simple text strings (ie very small packets) not entire media files.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Yup, but at $.01 per GB it will take a long long time for that to be a significant expense. All the files in Syrinscape put together may be 2-5 GB, what is used during a single game should be far less.

The rest of this post was incorrect and does not work. Sorry for the pipe dream.
    Last edited by ProNobis; May 21st, 2018 at 20:53. Reason: Retraction

(And thank you Dulux oz for making a system that worked for a long time before the main software caught up, your other solutions are still ahead of their time)

Quote Originally Posted by ProNobis View Post
    Also, the DOE sound became outdated 2 updates ago.
    Really?! That's certainly news to me - and to everybody else, as well, I believe. I didn't know FG could trigger sounds automatically from the Chat Box and from internal OOB Messages without the DOE:Sound, not to mention being able to place those Sound Strings into Modules and have them work correctly on re-load. And have a client machine be the sound master for the group, nor be able to have everyone play sounds locally, triggered from the GM's machine.

Truly, I've fallen way, way behind on what's now possible - so I'll stop work on the DOE:Sound (& the DOE:OLE, as well, as it uses a lot of the same code) because, obviously, its no longer needed.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

DOE still has the advantage of automatically playing links based on other cues... something I don't really understand how you do. Using the built in method you have to click the button to get it to play. If you want to see an example of the new system, take a look at Incarnate-Syrinscape which is free here: https://incarnategaming.github.io/download/

And Delux, you have done an amazing job over the years. You keep pushing the envelop and pushing us forward. Thank you for all the hard work you have put in. Moon wizard made the change to make it easier to create links to websites, but website and syrinscape uri's are close enough that by adding the feature for one he added it for the other.

Retraction: The update only does url links not other uris. The core code in the xml is the same for all uris so you can code it there, but it does not automatically convert in chat. I completely blew this post.
    Last edited by ProNobis; May 21st, 2018 at 20:54.

Thread Information