5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Thread: Project: Par5e

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    @Eryndur: A Potion of Healing is not an equipment item, its a magical item. Therefore remove it from equipment.txt and add it to magicitems.txt and re-parse, it should then appear in your Parcel.
    That did the trick. Thanks Zeus! Any idea about parcels.txt not pulling equipment descriptions from equipment.txt?

Does the 3.5 option in Par5e work? I don't see any recent info regarding it, but it is an option in the program. The documentation doesn't have any information and I can't get it to accept NPC parses without an error. I can convert a 5e to 3.5e, but then it causes errors inside of FG.

Edit: I'm guessing probably not due to this on the first page: "Anyhow I hope to have an alpha version I can release for testing in the next two-three weeks (subject to available time really) this unless I decide to move to OOP in which case maybe a month. Given 5E will be in flux for good while yet as well as the enormity of the 3.5E/4E/5E support", but it says a few weeks and the last edit on the OP is Last edited by Zeus; March 24th, 2014 at 06:20. So I was unsure if this text was simply unedited or never gotten around to. If it doesn't work, is there a good way to format in 5E and change to 3.5E or is it not worth the effort?
    Last edited by Jdorty; July 1st, 2015 at 20:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdorty View Post
    Does the 3.5 option in Par5e work? I don't see any recent info regarding it, but it is an option in the program. The documentation doesn't have any information and I can't get it to accept NPC parses without an error. I can convert a 5e to 3.5e, but then it causes errors inside of FG.

Edit: I'm guessing probably not due to this on the first page: "Anyhow I hope to have an alpha version I can release for testing in the next two-three weeks (subject to available time really) this unless I decide to move to OOP in which case maybe a month. Given 5E will be in flux for good while yet as well as the enormity of the 3.5E/4E/5E support", but it says a few weeks and the last edit on the OP is Last edited by Zeus; March 24th, 2014 at 06:20. So I was unsure if this text was simply unedited or never gotten around to. If it doesn't work, is there a good way to format in 5E and change to 3.5E or is it not worth the effort?
    The public development is on indefinite hiatus as Par5e is now an in-house tool for 5E content (which I think is awesome as the sooner SW can clear 5E modules the sooner I might get my grubby hands on UnityFG )

Not sure about 3.5 but i know Core setting doesn't really work off the bat for reference entries - story entries etc are fine.

What works for me is build it with the 5E setting and then modify the xml in the final archive, or canibalise the xml for another module. You would have to come to your own conclusions as to whether that workflow is more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Thete View Post
    The public development is on indefinite hiatus as Par5e is now an in-house tool for 5E content (which I think is awesome as the sooner SW can clear 5E modules the sooner I might get my grubby hands on UnityFG )

Not sure about 3.5 but i know Core setting doesn't really work off the bat for reference entries - story entries etc are fine.

What works for me is build it with the 5E setting and then modify the xml in the final archive, or canibalise the xml for another module. You would have to come to your own conclusions as to whether that workflow is more efficient.
    When you build it with the 5E, are most of the changes you make things you can do replace all with, or is it a lot more in-depth for editing? Currently I'm just following the format for core books and editing all the XML by hand. Its pretty slow going.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdorty View Post
    When you build it with the 5E, are most of the changes you make things you can do replace all with, or is it a lot more in-depth for editing? Currently I'm just following the format for core books and editing all the XML by hand. Its pretty slow going.
    Yeah I think search/replace all would cover a good chunk of it, if not you might need to do more selective cut pasting from the Par5e output to your own working xml file. But at least you would have a working xml structure and wouldn't be starting from scratch. I guess it would vary depending on what ruleset you wanted to re-purpose it for. If you're ok spending a couple of weeks experimenting, you might find a productive workflow that saves you time, who can say till you jump in and give it a try.

For those with official Monster Manuals –

Generating 2-4 encounters for each of my AL game sessions was easy enough from within Fantasy Grounds. However, my group size (public game) varies from week to week and isn't known until game day. I wanted to have each strength level of the encounter already set up in advance. Multiplying those 2-4 encounters by 4 strength levels starts to get tedious via the interface. I could do this easier with PAR5E, but wanted the benefit of having purchased the Monster Manual, instead of setting up my own npcs.txt. After some fiddling, I figured out how to do this.

I set up the encounters.txt as usual, but didn't use npcs.txt.
    For Example:
    #@;Module Part 1

##;Sample Encounter
    4;Guard;;

I ran this through PAR5E. In the FG modules directory, I unzipped the mod file that was made by PAR5E, then edited client.xml. For my example, there is a line that looks like this:

<recordname>npc.guard@Module Name</recordname>

I changed this to:

<recordname>reference.npcdata.guard@DD MM Monster Manual</recordname>

Now, when I click to get the creature data sheet from the encounters tab, I get the Monster Manual version of the data sheet. Be aware that I don't use the maps and tokens so I don't know what might have been broken by this manual edit. But the combat tracker stuff seems to work.

What verbage is FG looking for to create a pop up window with choices? For some reason my parsed cleric doesn't give the choice on creation like the official one does. Also trying to get some warlock choices, etc.

And if anyone knows an easier way to create a subclass without having to parse an entire class (I already bought the PHB for FG), I'm all ears :-)

Quote Originally Posted by cas206 View Post
    However, my group size (public game) varies from week to week and isn't known until game day. I wanted to have each strength level of the encounter already set up in advance. Multiplying those 2-4 encounters by 4 strength levels starts to get tedious via the interface.
    I too struggle with different party sizes - though we have settled into a nice consistent groove lately.

What I do is make the encounter for what is most often the "smallest" size - which tends to be 4 players. So this is pretty easy since most published works assume this size of a party.
    Then I will make a second encounter that has a single character increment. So if it makes sense to add 3 kobolds when there is an extra party member, I make a second encounter for that.
    Then if I have more than 1 extra, I just add that second "incremental" encounter to the CT multiple times for each additional character present. The only challenge to this is to remember if you pre-placed these monsters you should move them slightly before adding second or third "increments", otherwise they will stack.

This becomes less of an issue when you get to higher levels as a party seems to be able to deal with larger variances in encounter power. So I have started to just make things harder for them and they adapt. The nice thing is that higher levels monsters tend to have more abilities and twists available to them. If the party is underpowered I might just conveniently forget one of the special powers that would probably spell their doom.

Unless that's what I wanted... <evil grin>
    Wedge
    -----
    Ultimate license holder
    Running a D&D 5e homegrown campaign and a Forgotten Realms campaign.

Blog Entries
    My recommendation for varying party sizes is actually the opposite. Build out the encounters in the largest format you expect that you will need and then place all the tokens. When you run the encounter, you can simply decrease the number appearing and click the calculation button to re-figure the new CR and XP. The excess tokens will no longer be there and will therefore not be placed on your map when you add them to the CT.

Found it nevermind
    Last edited by Falselight; July 12th, 2015 at 01:01.

Thread Information