STAR TREK 2d20
Page 25 of 54 First ... 15232425262735 ... Last

Thread: 4E Item Parser

Blog Entries
    thru the parse tool or thru a web browser or because you dont have an account or forgot your password?

i got into insider (i had the wrong version of parser prior) but now i get the no entries found error when i try to use more than one browser 19000 files would take too long one by one

Blog Entries
    i dont think you have much choice from previous posts...
    set it and let it run.
    dont select everything - do it in smaller chunks.

by the time you posted this i had already selected everything and now its been running for six hours too late to turn back now

No one has really reported trouble using the single browser. So it is slow, but you can download in chunks (like monsters, then feats, then powers, etc.) Once you have the downloaded files, you can combine them to create a module that has all the entries you want in it. That is what the "Select File" option is for. You can load as many of the downloaded .txt files (not the .mod files) and it will create a new txt and mod file by combining those files.

I was able to scrape DDI and load into Fantasy Grounds. I noticed the powers don't have the flavor text. Is this normal operation or did I do something wrong? Is there a way to add the flavor text without having to do it manually?

That is expected behavior from the parser. I don't remember if DDI has flavor text in the entries or not - though I don't think it did originally, but I don't have a subscription any more.

Edit: Welcome to the boards, by the way.
    Last edited by Griogre; April 9th, 2015 at 18:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    That is expected behavior from the parser. I don't remember if DDI has flavor text in the entries or not - though I don't think it did originally, but I don't have a subscription any more.

Edit: Welcome to the boards, by the way.
    Thanks for the reply and welcome :-)

I checked DDI. The flavor text is there so I will copy the text for the players chosen powers.

The Item Parser worked great when using only one browser instance. When adding two or more it would fail. My OS is Windows 8.1. The "Players Handbook" option took 7 hours to download. I mention it just as reference for others who might try in the future. Overall its quite an impressive tool!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinoboy View Post
    I was able to scrape DDI and load into Fantasy Grounds. I noticed the powers don't have the flavor text. Is this normal operation or did I do something wrong? Is there a way to add the flavor text without having to do it manually?
    The flavour text is available in the DDI Compendium and is present in the modules produced by this parser. However, the module stores the data in a field <stringflavor> while the 4E ruleset looks for a field <flavor> so it never finds the flavor text.

The quick way to fix this is to open client.xml in the module file and replace stringflavor with flavor for all entries and re-save the module file. This will show the flavour text, for example:

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The flavour text is available in the DDI Compendium and is present in the modules produced by this parser. However, the module stores the data in a field <stringflavor> while the 4E ruleset looks for a field <flavor> so it never finds the flavor text.

The quick way to fix this is to open client.xml in the module file and replace stringflavor with flavor for all entries and re-save the module file.
    That fixed it. Thanks!

Thread Information