DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 20 of 54 First ... 10181920212230 ... Last

Thread: 4E Item Parser

Quote Originally Posted by valeros View Post
    Try the following:
    1) Do not use the option to download using multiple browsers (i.e., on Step 6, leave set to 1.)
    2) Ensure .Net 4.0 or higher is installed.
    3) Run on a Windows 7 computer (with .Net 4.0 or higher.)
    4) Try parsing one of the text files that were generated from a previous run.
    5) Ensure the "Power Classes.txt" file is in the same directory as the parser.
    Umm I didnt see the step 6 part..tried that and it worked. As long as no extra browsers spawned it worked fine. Took forever but it did work. Thanks Valeros

Hi, thanks for this great tool, we just exported a nice handy DM Module and Player Module for our group and are looking forward to using the full DDI database on the board now!

I did have one question - when we exported Feats, they all came strewn together in a massive single category. It's basically impossible to use because it's 3200 feats that aren't sorted or categorized in any way, so players have to scroll through this massive list and manually browse the feat choices. Even when we separated feats by tier, the Heroic tier was still 1600 choices.

Does anyone know if there is any way to sort these? By class or prerequisite or source book or anything? I noticed the Compendium itself has the option to sort by tier (like the parser), but the Compendium also lets you sort by Source - type of book, or by specific book, while the parser only lets you choose which type of book (Rule Book, Printed Adventure, Dragon Mag, etc.)

It wouldn't be perfect, but being able to create a module that's PHB, Dragon Magazine, Martial Power 1 & 2 (for example) would let us have a Martial Feats module, which would help big-time rather than the big unsorted list.

Or if anyone has any other suggestions or solutions I'd be glad to hear it!

Blog Entries
    my only suggestion is to use the search... just start typing and the list will start shrinking...

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    my only suggestion is to use the search... just start typing and the list will start shrinking...
    I did try that, but unfortunately the Fantasy Grounds module search only searches by name...so a search of "rogue" in my Heroic Feats module brings up...1 entry, "Twilight Adept [Multiclass Rogue]", haha.

The lack of menu options is an Internet Explorer problem. What you need to do is:
    1) Click "Select Compendium Entries" in Step 1
    2) Wait for the browser at the bottom to fill-in
    3) Switch to feats in the browser
    4) Click the "Add All Books to Source" button (to the right of Step 2)

Now all the source books should be available so you can create modules based on books.

Also, you can combine multiple entries before downloading so you can have whatever entries you want in one file. For example, to have all the entries from all three PHB in one module you would: filter on the first PHB and select "Add Entries" in Step 2, then filter on PHB 2 and select "Add Entries" again. Repeat at will. Then do Steps 3-7 and all those entries will be combined into one module.
    Last edited by valeros; July 25th, 2014 at 07:24.

Oh fantastic, thank you valeros! This should work perfectly!

Quick question - I've parsed a list of all items together for convenience, but is there any way to make the individual categories (Magic Armor, Magic Weapons, Implements, etc) sort by level instead of alphabetically? In the old Adventurer's Vault module, all the +1 Armors are listed first, then the +2 ones, etc. I find this much easier to browse when I'm picking out appropriate treasure for my party rather than alphabetical sorting.

Attachment 7164

Thanks for any help!

Short answer, no.

Sorting items by level would require another index (meaning writing more code.) My thought for my parser was not to be a substitute for the compendium, but just to save the time typing the entries into FG. I always assumed I would use the compendium, the module, the rulebook, etc. to find what I wanted. I just did not want to have to type it into FG once I knew what I wanted. If FG had more options for sorting built into the windows, that would make it mush easier. But right now, each sort requires an index (at least in the 4E ruleset.)

Okay! Thank you for the fast response, it's just a minor thing anyway. The parser modules have already made our games way easier, so thanks again for all your hard work!

Just wanted to pop in and tell the powers behind the throne what an excellent tool this is! A million thanks to you!

Thread Information