Fantasy Grounds Message Boards

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 4E Item Parser

New 4E Item Parser

Attached is a Parser for the 4E D&D Insider Compendium (only for Windows.)

All Compendium Entries but "Companions & Familiars" supported.

It creates a module folder in the directory where the program is run for whatever items you select from the Compendium (so a D&D Insider login is required.) You can download as many items at once as you select.

Use the FGPEMUtility.exe to convert resulting directory to an actual .mod file if it is not automatically created. You must manually move the module to your modules folder.

Hopefully simple enough to use without directions. Main thing is to not click the Download button until the Compendium has listed the items selected.

It does not parse Artifacts or Item Sets (but most items in Items Sets already listed separately.)

Use the multiple browsers option at your own risk. 20 browsers is the max. I recommend 10. (I downloaded 3,661 items in about 15 minutes using 20 browsers.) If any of the browsers stall (usually on logging in or the first entry), sometimes you can Pause & Resume a couple times to shake them loose. Otherwise, restart but first Cancel to kill all the browsers. Also, if you get a server error from the DDI website, you must Cancel and restart. (All browsers must complete properly for the program to work. If the main program crashes or is killed without Cancelling, all browsers must be killed by hand.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by valeros; May 24th, 2014 at 20:56.

Requires .NET.

Also, remember that magical armor, implements, and weapons Compendium entries do not include the base mundane armor/weapon info so you will have to modify the magical item to match the specific mundane armor/weapon to which you want it paired.

Changed executable to leave items in a folder with the module name as well as attempting to create the module file. If the .mod file is bad, use the FGPEMUtility.exe utility from http://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/ to package the folder as a .mod file. (Be sure to select .MOD in the FGPEMUtility application because .pak is the default.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by valeros; November 5th, 2013 at 03:33.

eeeeee!

Can't wait to get home and try this. Been waitin' to parse Mordekainen's forever.

High Templar
    Hi!

DUDE! You gonna be one popular hombre for having done this!

Hats of to you!

Primarch

High Templar
    Hi!

Valeros, I have run into a interesting problem. I can successfully download and parse the selected entries, but instead of one "module" I get 4 files. A common and definition xml file a thumbnail png file and a mod file that is only 1 kb in size. The size of the common db file is almost 19megs, all the items on the compendium.

If I transfer just the 1kb mod file, fantasy grounds doesn't even recognize it, thus it does not appear on the module activation section. If I transfer all files to the proper modules folder, still no usable module to activation in the module activation section.

From expereince I know that a standard fantasy ground mod file can be extracted into the components above using some unzip program. However I cannot just "re-zip" them with your parser products into a workable module.

Is it supposed to produce just on file (not 4) or is there another step?

I would of sworn I have seen a xml to mod converter, but perhaps I am mistaken

Any help appreciated.

Primarch

Quote Originally Posted by primarch
    However I cannot just "re-zip" them with your parser products into a workable module.
    Yes you can - zip up the common.xml, definition.xml and thumbnail.png files into one file. Make sure you use ZIP compression not RAR or anything else. Also ensure you zip the 3 files, not the directory they are in. Then rename the .ZIP extension to .MOD.

Of course, it would be nice if the parser did this for you! :-) I'm guessing that there is an issue with this step at the moment as valeros mentions problems renaming from .zip to .mod in the OP.

FG Con V – October 17-19th 2014 - register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

Hi primarch,

You might be able to get it working by doing this:
    * Rename the MOD file to have a .ZIP extension.
    * Windows should open the ZIP file like a folder if you double click on it.
    * Copy the other 3 files (common.xml, definition.xml, and thumbnail.png) to the ZIP file folder.
    * Go up one directory level so the ZIP looks like a file in Windows Explorer.
    * Rename the ZIP file to have a .MOD extension.
    * Copy the MOD file to the modules directory.
    * If FG is running, exit FG.
    * Start FG and test it out.

Rolemaster Classic for FG Wish List - http://rm4fg.idea.informer.com/

High Templar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe
    Yes you can - zip up the common.xml, definition.xml and thumbnail.png files into one file. Make sure you use ZIP compression not RAR or anything else. Also ensure you zip the 3 files, not the directory they are in. Then rename the .ZIP extension to .MOD.

Of course, it would be nice if the parser did this for you! :-) I'm guessing that there is an issue with this step at the moment as valeros mentions problems renaming from .zip to .mod in the OP.
    Hi!

Actually I did just that, but I erred in just adding .mod to the rename of the file, however I was just adding to the name not changing the file extension. Once I made file extensions under windows I changed it to .mod and it worked perfectly.

It's too bad you can't decompile the files made by this parser with DrZeuss decompiler (I tried, it seemed not to work) since I would use the decompiled files to substitute my original item files with these new ones an produce an updated mod file of whole books with these item files.

In any event this is a great tool and much needed. I downloaded all the items in 20 windows in under 5 minutes and the mod file actually nice broken down in convenient categories with makes one all-item book quite easy to navigate.

My humblest thanks to you sir for this magnificent tool!

Primarch

Changed executable to leave items in a folder with the module name as well as attempting to create the module file. If the .mod file is bad, use the FGPEMUtility.exe utility from http://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/ to package the folder as a .mod file. (Be sure to select .MOD in the FGPEMUtility application because .pak is the default.)

Blog Entries
    Nice work Valeros. I will have a play with this later this weekend.

For those wanting to decompile the .mod this tool creates; I can make available the source for the decompiler if anyone wants to take on the development. I am a little maxed out with RL projects at the moment and if I am being honest am starting to wind down on 4E games (not for entirely but certainly with less frequency).

Same goes for any of the other tools I have made available over recent years; ht me up with a PM if anyone is interested.

DrZ.
    Gamer: Jésus?
    DrZeus: My name isn't Jésus.
    Gamer: He just called you Jésus?
    DrZeus: He didn't say Jésus. He said, "Hey, Zeus!" My name is Zeus.
    Gamer: Zeus?
    DrZeus: Yeah, Zeus! As in, father of Apollo? Mt. Olympus? Don't f*@k with me or I'll shove a lightning bolt up your @ss? Zeus! You got a problem with that?

FG Con 5 – October 17-19th 2014 - register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

Thread Information