STAR TREK 2d20
Page 9 of 13 First ... 7891011 ... Last
    Ok new Question.

I'm switching to my Mac Mini with the larger monitor. screen Realestate! Anyhow.. I need to isolate from my other VM that I have running.

So I have OSX running a VM of Win7 on VirtualBox. Windows is licensed. I've downloaded from steam my FG install. it opened after setting my license key it updated. After restarting FG from Steam. I get the following Errors: WindowTitle: Could not initialize DirectX; WindowMessage:CheckDeviceType failed! Error code 16. AND WindowTitle: Error!: WindowMessage: Could not initialize Graphics system!

Has anyone installed FG on a Windows VM ran from VirtualBox on a Mac?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RedLucidity View Post
    Ok new Question.

I'm switching to my Mac Mini with the larger monitor. screen Realestate! Anyhow.. I need to isolate from my other VM that I have running.

So I have OSX running a VM of Win7 on VirtualBox. Windows is licensed. I've downloaded from steam my FG install. it opened after setting my license key it updated. After restarting FG from Steam. I get the following Errors: WindowTitle: Could not initialize DirectX; WindowMessage:CheckDeviceType failed! Error code 16. AND WindowTitle: Error!: WindowMessage: Could not initialize Graphics system!

What sort of graphics card is in the mac mini?
    This error is because the VM doesnt have approriate virtual graphics resources to install/run directX.

Edit: I would try the Mac installer and skip the W7 VM...

Blog Entries
    Ok new Question.

As damned suggests, I would recommend skipping the VM as well and just use the Downloads > Mac OSX Installer instead.

If you want to run under the VM, then that message looks a lot like the message that occurs on Windows when DirectX 9.0c is first installed and it indicates that a reboot is required. Have you tried triggering a fresh reboot within the VM after installation of FG?

You need to install VirtualBox guest additions and enable the experimental 3D option. Info on guest additions here: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

@Ddavison & @damned Using the VM due to other needs that needed to be maintained on the machine.

Running the VirtualBox Guest additions and the 3D option from SafeMode did the trick. The info suggests that it didn't need safemode for Win7 guests to be able to install. But it did in this case.

Thanks Trenloe!

Codeweavers is running a birthday promotion for Crossover (both Mac and Linux versions):

https://www.codeweavers.com/store/promotions

Hey guys, I am going away next week and need to take my work Macbook due to possible need for me to work remotely if feces hits the air conditioner

If I wanted to avoid needing to bring 2 laptops, I wanted to get back to ruleset experimenting on vacation. Anyone know if I installed from download (not steam) does it install all to one or two localized areas so when back can easily and cleanly uninstall FG from m work Macbook?

Any tips on mak8ng that easier?

Thanks

From what i’ve seen on my Mac from the download installer is everything is self contained and you would just need to delete fantasy grounds from your application folder when you were done.

Thanks, that's what I recalled about being one folder but my experience with Mac is after you run something other directories are modified in Library or can't recall if another place.

Just wanted to be ready ahead to know what to look for.

There's a neat piece of software called App Cleaner, that does a very good job of uninstalling software, including library files that just dragging the application to the trash can ignore. It's also free.

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

Thread Information