STAR TREK 2d20
Page 10 of 13 First ... 89101112 ... Last
    I've been running FG on my Mac for a few years now using the wine wrapped download from FG. I'd really like to get the DOE: Sound Extension working since I purchased the Rob2e's Fantasy Grounds Sounds, DOM Soundlink-Library Module, and the Adventure Path subscription on Syrinscape. Last night, I used bootcamp and put a Windows partition on my Mac, but found that I simply hated needing to fully reboot to get back to my Mac OS. I constantly found that I needed reference material in my Mac Books App. It was just not worth it.

I am thinking about using Parallels... The problem I have with that is that I've heard it really slows down Fantasy Grounds. I also have some concern on how to get my PureVPN(w/static IP) to work within Parallels as I travel often and must have that for connection.

Is there anyone around that is running Fantasy Grounds on a Mac via Parallels that is tech savvy enough with both operating systems and VPN networking that has a good opinion and could help? I'd appreciate any recommendations including other sound options that work easily on a Mac? Thanks for any input!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Preferred Games: D&D5E
    Timezone: Normally US Central Time but often times others...

Quote Originally Posted by daggerfortysix View Post
    I've been running FG on my Mac for a few years now using the wine wrapped download from FG. I'd really like to get the DOE: Sound Extension working since I purchased the Rob2e's Fantasy Grounds Sounds, DOM Soundlink-Library Module, and the Adventure Path subscription on Syrinscape. Last night, I used bootcamp and put a Windows partition on my Mac, but found that I simply hated needing to fully reboot to get back to my Mac OS. I constantly found that I needed reference material in my Mac Books App. It was just not worth it.

I am thinking about using Parallels... The problem I have with that is that I've heard it really slows down Fantasy Grounds. I also have some concern on how to get my PureVPN(w/static IP) to work within Parallels as I travel often and must have that for connection.

Is there anyone around that is running Fantasy Grounds on a Mac via Parallels that is tech savvy enough with both operating systems and VPN networking that has a good opinion and could help? I'd appreciate any recommendations including other sound options that work easily on a Mac? Thanks for any input!
    Like you I run on a Mac, and frustrated with lack of 3rd party support through Syrinscape. So in the end Iinstalled boot camp on my Mac. And just boot into that when I run FG.

We had a session last night, where I was playing, my DM had the sounds loaded, but I had te link into Syrinscape. Worked brilliantly, all the players were hearing the chat sounds.

Bootcamp is effectively a windows on a Mac, no slowdown, and very stable. You obviously need enough disc space to create the partition, but it's pretty straight forward. I have a 500gb HD with it split 400/100 Mac/Win. I'm not planning to use Windows for much so the space is ideal.

I use parallels all the time and I don’t need a vpn. I can tell no difference running on my Mac vs my pc (and my pc is a powerhouse). My Mac is a 6 year old MacBook Pro. My MacBook has 1TB SSD as only drive and I use 512KB SSD on my pc
    Truth be told I have not tried syrinscape with FG on my Mac or pc yet but I have never had anything I can do on my pc not work on my Mac. Syrinscape alone works fine on both machines but I have not yet tried running it with Fantasy Grounds yet.
    With parallels, you will need a windows license, of course. I have windows 7 on my Mac and 10 on my pc.
    I may be getting a vpn soon because I will be living out of a hotel for next 8 months.
    Last edited by Bidmaron; October 31st, 2018 at 18:35.

Thanks for the input both of you. I still just can get over having to reboot to swap between operating systems so I'm pretty sure bootcamp is out. Today, I've been testing FG in parallels on my MacBook Pro using the DOE:Sound Extension and Syrinscape and it works great. The trouble I am working through now is getting the connection test to success. I have PureVPN that is necessary for me while traveling and for some reason, although the static IP is flowing through the shared network connection that parallels uses within the Mac OS, I'm still getting a failure. I think in may be the porting from within the windows environment. PureVPN has always worked so the issue is certainly a result of Parallels.

Anyone that has some knowledge about the network within Parallels, let me know any suggestions.
    Ultimate License Holder

Later tonight when home I will tell you how you have to set it in parallels. Seems like you have to use bridged but let me check after Halloween

I got a SUCCESS on my home network, now I am working to confirm the VPN. We can pick up this discussion tomorrow or whenever. Happy Halloween!
    Ultimate License Holder

Was it bridge mode then? I have mine set to "Airport" under the Bridged Network options.

Mine is a shared connection. In the Parallels Desktop Preferences>Network>Port forwarding rules I forwarded 1802 as shown in this image:
    Parallels Port Forwarding.png

Everything is working flawlessly.
    Ultimate License Holder

This seems like the best place to note this.

Since updating my mac OS to Mojave 10.14.x (x=3) a month or so ago, FG has taken Several Minutes to load to the point of the start screen. In all other respects it seems to be running correctly. It doesn't seem to matter if anything is open or not.

FG version v3.3.8 Ultimate. Cross platform is selected. Using the bundled FG for macs (wine?).

Can the number of rulesets, extensions, modules whether in production or in official form matter on the start up? If so, how do you all manage your files in regards to whats loading or not? Especially with the purchased content?

Thanks

I would try unchecking cross platform option. I know that use to eat the cpu on my Mac and I’ve success with it off.

Thread Information