5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
    Blog Entries

anti-piracy features updated

We just added some new features to block out some of the rampant piracy we've been seeing with our licenses. It is our intention to not hinder any legitimate users, but if you have any problems running FG that suddenly occur, please send an email to [email protected] along with your licensekey and a description of the issues you are seeing.

I don't anticipate there being any issues. Just to be sure, please also update your version of FG to the latest version. Happy Gaming!

-Doug

Blog Entries
    Not really related but I have sent a few emails to @fantasygrounds.com email address regarding HarnMaster and CGI and have not received a reply. As I cannot PM you directly with this, would it be possible for you confirm if they are going through and not being spam filtered in case I have to use that support@ address for regular support issues? Email address would be gunnargreybeard (at) gmail (dot) com.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Blog Entries
    Hey Gunnar, email located and replied to. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison
    We just added some new features to block out some of the rampant piracy we've been seeing with our licenses.
    I'm sorry to hear piracy is an issue for SmiteWorks. It's such a great application supported by a small company. A shame. I've done the reverse of piracy myself; I was goof enough to buy the same thing (module) twice... It's alright, I like you guys.

Blog Entries
    Back on topic . . . Sad to hear but probably expected given the quality of the product. While the Ultimate License might be considered a bit steep, the other Full/Lite Combos are not. RPG's are group games so you would figure spreading the costs across a regular group would reduce that considerably but then some people just like to steal stuff.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

I too am really disappointed to hear about the pirating issues. There is definitely a mentality among some today that if it's possible to get something for free on the Internet, that it's ok to do so.

I'm in a band that spent *9 years* putting together our 2nd CD (progressive rock - ultra-niche market - just a labor of love, really)... spent many, many thousands of dollars on it, I'm sure thousands of hours, several trips between various band members between east coast/west coast/Canada. At long last we finally released the CD, and within 24 hours somebody had bought an early copy, ripped it, and had it for free download on a torrent site. Just feels like somebody spat in your face.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

OHOHOH.... Did you use my anti-piracy suggestions? Because I have been cooking up a bunch of them over the last few months.

Not condoning piracy by any means here but dr venture is it possible karma may help you draw some more fans that might buy your cd that may not ever heard it before.

I done that with movies I gone too where I never heard a sound before and I bought the band CD and back catalogue.

You never know how karma plays out sometimes. Hope you get some buyers of your music, I understand what its like to work in the creative field and never get the love.

If I was you also I would make a comment on the torrent, basicly saying we are a small band and please invest when you can. Notch did something similar about Piracy of minecraft it was well recieved and may have boosted his sales.

As for FG I bought more licences then I need, so +1 to anti piracy
    Last edited by Ardem; January 31st, 2012 at 05:31.

No updates yet, although I have seen that after exiting a game, the front page has no text on it, and attempts to hit "check for updates" tells me that "FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe can't be found".

Restarting the app gets rid of this strange behaviour - given I've not pulled down any updates (still on 2.8.1) not sure what has caused this to happen. Not a problem, but still something I've not seen before.
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardem
    If I was you also I would make a comment on the torrent, basicly saying we are a small band and please invest when you can. Notch did something similar about Piracy of minecraft it was well recieved and may have boosted his sales.
    This might also be something the legitimate users in the community can do to help encourage people to support the software.

On a related topic has SmiteWorks ever considered combating piracy by releasing FG free under a Creative Commons (BY-NC-ND) license. Then consider another model to acquire the funds to ensure further development of the software. The benefits of free software is generally a larger customer base, and game publishers might use FG to value add there own products, which means even more exposure.

Some other models that come to mind if FG was free are:

1. Advertising is displayed in the software, if you want to be ad free then you pay for the ad-free unlock. This equates to the current license price.

2. Modules, rulesets, and other shop items must be purchased through FG itself and will only work on the FG version that made the purchase.

3. Kickstarter type feature development. ie "We're thinking of adding this major feature x to FG, but need funding amounting to $y before we will undertake it. If you want this feature, show your support by donating/backing this development."

4. Donations.

Just some thoughts.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

Thread Information