5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Dice animation problem

Hello,
    I didn't use FG for awhile and now I'm back. I remember that one of the coolest things with FG is how it emulates real table especially dice rolling..
    Now with new computer dice rolling animation does not work like it used to. I mean, I get about 4-5 FPS instead of smooth, fluent roll animation.
    I can reproduce this problem on my desktop computer with Windows 8 and AMD Radeon HD 7800 (I hope you agree this card is pretty decent) and laptop with Windows 8.1 and some Intel Crap built-in Graphics card, but everything works fine on my work computer with Windows 7 and (cheap) Nvidia based card.
    I know FG uses DirectX 9.0c but I tried to reinstall without effect. I have the newest drivers everywhere. Also, I didn't find many threads about this problem - one that I found was about running FG and hibernating computer which does not apply here. Am I the only one?
    Any idea how to trace reason for this problem? I know this is not the end of the world but it annoys me.

All the best!

As a first step: try disabling anti aliasing on your graphics card driver.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you for quick reply. Unfortunately it didn't help. But when I turn it on.. oh boy.. Some heavy flickering happens. In any case I tried to turn off/on everything I could - does not help.

When I look into graphics card monitor it seems it does nothing - so I'm guessing DirectX switches to software rendering - I may be wrong though. :/

Thanks again.
    Radek.

Blog Entries
    Can you check to see if your graphics card setup has 3D hardware acceleration enabled.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Also, I'm curious - what ruleset are you using? For instance, I've seen that on my Windows 8.1 machine in the BRP (Basic Roleplaying) rulset if I have the module activation screen open the performance drops through the floor - close the module activation window and it returns to normal. This doesn't occur in the CoreRPG (and derived) rulesets.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hello All,
    thank you very much for replies

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Can you check to see if your graphics card setup has 3D hardware acceleration enabled.
    DxDiag shows that my DirectDraw Acceleration, Direct3D Acceleration and Texturing AGP acceleration is ENABLED.
    I wouldn't know how to disable this so if you point me to this magic switch then I can check what other options are there. So unless you meant something else then this is alright. I'm running all the modern games in decent FPS (25-60) so I would expect rendering couple of polyhedrons to not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Also if you have too many windows open inside FG it will impact performance - particularly dice rolling...
    I did not open any other windows nor activated any modules.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Also, I'm curious - what ruleset are you using? For instance, I've seen that on my Windows 8.1 machine in the BRP (Basic Roleplaying) rulset if I have the module activation screen open the performance drops through the floor - close the module activation window and it returns to normal. This doesn't occur in the CoreRPG (and derived) rulesets.
    I was using Savage Worlds Ruleset but I just tried with barebones CoreRPG - same result without any other window open.

Thanks again.
    Radek.

Blog Entries
    Check your Settings screen and make sure you have "Cross-platform compatibility mode for Linux and Mac" unchecked. This is somewhat mis-labeled and it is only for when you are running on a Mac or Linux. Your campaign will still be compatible with players using those platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Check your Settings screen and make sure you have "Cross-platform compatibility mode for Linux and Mac" unchecked. This is somewhat mis-labeled and it is only for when you are running on a Mac or Linux. Your campaign will still be compatible with players using those platforms.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't help. I played with it turned on and off and there was no change.

FWIW I also tried playing with compatibility options. From Windows XP Service Pack 3 to Windows 7 - no change. I also tried running application as Administrator - no cigar.

I tried running it from standalone installation and steam - nope, no change.

DXTory detects Fantasy Grounds as DirectX applciation and dumps this info:

Code:
    ProcessID: 596
    DeviceType: DX9
    View: Type=DX9 DevType=D3DDEVTYPE_HAL BhFlags=D3DCREATE_FPU_PRESERVE D3DCREATE_MIXED_VERTEXPROCESSING Format=D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8 Size=1024x768 HWND=0x00060666 WindowTitle=Fantasy Grounds ClassName=HORIZON
    D3DCREATE_MIXED_VERTEXPROCESSING is puzzling. I would expect D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING. Why is it not detecting that my card is capable of such a basic functionality? Debug mode does not help (or I cannot find relevant logs).

Thank you all for your suggestions but still this is unresolved for me.

P.S. I found some note that suggests I'm not the only one.. https://steamcommunity.com/app/25269...55529997606125. It's not helping though..
    Last edited by radekg; August 1st, 2014 at 17:39.

Hello,
    I'm happy. It works. Big thanks to everybody who tried to help me. For future generations - I don't know exactly how I fixed it. I just went into uninstall rage and I removed everything I suspected might have broken video subsystems. If I would have to guess I would blame CCCP codec pack as it is known to interfere in bizzare ways with others (old) directx subsystems. I also uninstalled OpenCL and other video codecs like xvid and divx... and bunch of other suspicious unused stuff.

It works. Dice are smooooooth.

Thanks again!

Thread Information