FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by gandhi39 View Post
    add rule / all traffic / all / 0 - 65535 / anywhere
    why open up all ports, that exposes lots of service area on the server and provides it with no port protection. You should only need 1802 and SSH open.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhi39 View Post
    What do you mean with "Amazon charges you for having your instance down when you have a static IP"?

Could you then please explain how to install the Dynamic DNS client and set it up?
    if you set up an elastic IP, static public IP that never goes away, you get no charge for it as it’s included with your instance. But if you read the details they charge .009 per hour if your instance is down because you are holding a valuable IP.

For my dynamic dns provider I used ddclient and followed the instructions from my domains dns provider. I installed it using “Sufi apt-get update” then “sudo apt-get install ddclient” it has an install wizard that will let you set it up with common dynamic dns providers. But in my case I needed to edit its config file to Work with my provider.

You are right. My tutorial was left like that for simplicity. But you can make more specific and secure inbound and outbound rules later.

[edited the tutorial for safer rules]
    Last edited by gandhi39; February 21st, 2018 at 23:24.

ULTIMATE LICENSE OWNER

I don’t know how to replace the static public IP amazon gives you for a 3rd party dynamic one. What I do to not being charged when I’m not using the instance is turn it off. The downside is that your IP changes whenever you turn it back on. You will need to update your bach file everytime before you host a game.
    Last edited by gandhi39; February 21st, 2018 at 01:27.

ULTIMATE LICENSE OWNER

You can use a dynamic DNS provider like https://www.noip.com/ and then have a DNS name that goes into your scripts and your players use like fg.sampledomain.org

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklamb View Post
    You can use a dynamic DNS provider like https://www.noip.com/ and then have a DNS name that goes into your scripts and your players use like fg.sampledomain.org
    Thank you very much for this info. I got this to work on Amazon EC2. I wonder if you guys can add the info on how to setup no-IP, I have an account there and it point to the IP of house my connection .

How do I do that so that it points to the Amazon EC2 instance that way I wont get charged and it can keep using the free tier?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklamb View Post
    Thank you, I think I got that working. The one i need to configure is now the batch file and putty. Those still use the IP right? DO i replace both everytime i load the EC2 time?

I use the DNS name and give it a little bit after the instance is up to register itself before running them, just a min or two after it enters the running state. By using the DNS name you don’t need to change putty or scripts. It’s also what I give my players.

Would you mind giving a step by step?

Right now. I got putty configured. And the script is configured.

I have installed the Ubuntu No-IP client it doenst seem to update however when I reboot or restart the server.

Thread Information