DICE PACKS BUNDLE

New Ruleset Submission

So, I have a Mutants and Masterminds 3E sheet put together, and a friend of mine is working new graphics over the standard D&D 3.5 stuff. Anyone know how we might go about submitting it for public use, if we can do that at all?

It'll come down to if you are using any "intellectual property" from the makers of M&M, I suspect. For instance, if the graphics you are overlaying are taken from M&M owned images (such as ones from the rulebooks, then it'll probably need a commercial release. Likewise any text content from the rulebooks (feats, weapons, powers) will probably need a commercial release.

If it's a home-grown character sheet rejig, with some extra fields, and license-free images, then I suspect you'll be OK with a public release. For instance, MurghBpurn created a "Realms of Cthulhu" extension to Savage Worlds ruleset, and avoided IP problems by making it generic as described.

However not only am I not a lawyer, I'm also not a member of Smiteworks, so that's far from an official answer. For that, I'd get in touch with Doug at Smiteworks ([email protected]) and provide some detail of what it is your 3.5E extension will cover.
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

Blog Entries
    Brianide,

Shoot me an email at the address Phantomwhale listed. We just signed a contract with Green Ronin to produce an official ruleset for Mutants & Masterminds. This will be a commercial product -- although we haven't assigned a developer (community or internal) to it yet. There might be room for you on the development if you are interested. I'm also keenly interested in this specific game system even though I've never played it. I've been considering writing this ruleset personally, although simply collaborating with another developer would fit into my schedule a little better.

-Doug

OOOOOH! Does that mean that they are also open to development of a Dragon Age ruleset. That would make me ecstatic.

(please say "yes")

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison
    Brianide,

Shoot me an email at the address Phantomwhale listed. We just signed a contract with Green Ronin to produce an official ruleset for Mutants & Masterminds. This will be a commercial product -- although we haven't assigned a developer (community or internal) to it yet. There might be room for you on the development if you are interested. I'm also keenly interested in this specific game system even though I've never played it. I've been considering writing this ruleset personally, although simply collaborating with another developer would fit into my schedule a little better.

-Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Stitched
    OOOOOH! Does that mean that they are also open to development of a Dragon Age ruleset. That would make me ecstatic.

(please say "yes")
    I doubt that... there will be too many licensing issues with that I suspect.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Then I will have to hold out for the inevitable generic AGE system they will publish after Box 3 of Dragon Age. You license that (which Green Ronin owns) and Dragon Age is just a skin.

Blog Entries
    Green Ronin wants to hold off on doing any third-party licenses (Song of Ice and Fire, Dragon Age and DC Adventures) due to licensing constraints. They might be able to offer them up in the future as a purely fan-service move, but with the licensing, they wouldn't make much if anything off of this after all the splits. Mutants & Masterminds, True20, 3rd Era and Freeport products will be their way to test the FG market.

There's always a bit of trepidation for publishers to license their content out for something like this and we are just happy that they've given us a shot.

I can understand that. I can also understand that if they release a generic AGE system (and I suspect they will after 3rd box DARPG) then they could license that since they own the game's core mechanics. If they do that, it would be relatively easy to skin Dragon Age to it. Not a commercial release, to be fair, but reskinning it would be dead easy.

so brianide sent me his ruleset and after playing around with it i decided to start my own and with his permission ill been using the graphics he made for his own version in future releases(right now ive just made the Charsheet with automatic calculation).

can i start a thread so i can keep y'all updated?

Thread Information