FG Spreadshirt Swag

Thread: Custom System

Custom System

Hi all,

I saw Fantasy Grounds on DriveThruRPG.com and decided to pop on over to the site to check it out.

I run a fully customized D6 game with special races, attributes, derived stats (Life, Death, etc) and skills.

Can Fantasy Grounds handle this type of customization?

It can, but you'd need to construct your own character sheet in order to make full use of the functionality. I've got a d6 (WEG Star Wars) character sheet ruleset and this also handles the d6 Wild Die rolling (from double-clicked skill totals). However, if you've tailored the attributes and skills, then this wouldn't suit as it stands.

Customising a character sheet needs some basic XML skills. More advanced development would need XML and Lua, and you'd have to understand the way Fantasy Grounds uses the ruleset files.

The alternative is a generic character sheet. There's one built for the Base ruleset available in the Wiki. You can download the base ruleset and the generic extension and use this. The generic character sheet has a number of text fields that can be used to display the character stats.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Thanks Valarian.

I don't have all that much experience with either. I have edited XML files from other games but that was mostly to tweak minor stuff.

I see the demo is the full version with a handful of restrictions. Will it allow me to build something from the ground up to see how it works?

The demo version will only run the demo campaign that comes with it. You can't try out any of the custom rulesets or start a alternative campaign. You could download one of the rulesets from the Wiki, or I can send you the d6 Star Wars ruleset I have. With the reference on the website here, you can see if this is within your comfort zone or not.

As I said earlier, there is always the generic extension for the base ruleset. This let's you type the character information in on a notepad style sheet.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

OK thanks. I was thinking of getting the Ultimate License, but since implementing my system sounds difficult, I think I should wait.

If my group ever goes back to D&D 4e, I'll probably invest.

Thread Information